X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unwanted Icons on Desktops

Hello

I get since about 4 days at the start several standard Icons on the left side on all 4 desktops. This is absolutely not what I want, like or need at all. My Desktops are a presentation of my pictures and their manipulations.

Please have a look at the attached picture and you'll find my bone of miscontent very quickly.
    Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
    I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

I don't see a pic. Sounds like you're starting from a saved session.

Please Read Me

Comment

Sorry about this.

Sorry, I had problems with uploading picture.
      Attached Files
      I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

do you have your desktop layout set to folder view ?

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

The image is not very clear, so i cannot read what the are specifically, but it seems to be an application launcher icon, plus a number of folders.
          For the application icon, This will work like any desktop widget, so left-click and hold momentarily to pop out the side bar, where there will be a delete option.

The folders are there as your desktop layout is the Folder View, which is an actual folder on your system, usually the ~/Desktop, which can be changed in the Desktop settings. Any folder or file placed in that folder shows up on the Desktop. So, depending on what these folders are, there are a number of options.

The first is to check the Desktop settings and change the options to show a different folder (or create a new, empty one and use that), or to move the files out of that folder (if it not an important directory)

Another option is to use the filters in the desktop settings to hide certain items, but that seems too awkward.

Not knowing what these folders are, or rather what the location is, I recommend selecting an empty folder to be used.

Actually, being stupid, my real suggestion is to switch your Desktop layout from the Folder View (which is the default) to the Desktop Layout, which is NOT a folder at all, so all you have will be the wallpaper, and any widgets or application icons you put there manually. No folders or files at all.
          Last edited by claydoh; Jul 22, 2019, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks to you both. Your hint to change from Folder View was spot on.

Comment

I use Folder View but have no icons at all on my Desktop. When in Folder View there is an extra config option in the left pane called Location. Set the Location to Desktop folder and there will be no icons shown.
              Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion. I will, however not try out, as the system runs again as I want it to run.

Comment

Working...
                X