This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broke Headphone End in Jack and Want to Bypass Jack to Internal Speakers

Hello and thank you for reading, I am very new to this forum and very new to Kubuntu in general, so this may have been answered before but I still have yet to learn how to navigate the forums.

I am running Kubuntu 18.04 on an Acer Aspire E15. I had my headphones plugged into the jack and snagged the cable on a doorknob and the headphone end broke off in the headphone jack. I very rarely use the headphone jack as I usually use my phone to listen to music, make phone calls, etc. I am trying to figure out how to bypass the headphone jack and just play sound through the internal speakers.

I went to System Settings > Multimedia > Audio and Video > Audio Hardware Setup and set the default device to Speakers ... but when I attempt to set the playback through the internal speakers through the Sound icon on the taskbar it shows Ports: Speakers (unvailable) while the Headphone port remains unavailable and is basically set by default, I'd assume because the system believes I have headphones plugged in because the jack end is broken inside of there.

I believe what I need to do is disable the headphone jack port and that would enable me set the internal speakers port to default and would enable them. But I have no idea how to do that.

Again, I am very new to Kubuntu and have no idea how to edit config files, and so on. Any help would be very much appreciated as I'd like to avoid a costly laptop repair.

Thanks in advance.

This might not be doable as it could be a hardware by-pass.

You can try opening a terminal and type in:

alsamixer

then you will see the volumes. You should be able to raise the speaker volume there.

Of course, the real solution will be digging the pin out of the headphone jack...

Please Read Me

Comment

Yes I think you're right, I went into alsamixer and it shows that the headphone jack audio levels can be changed and but the speaker audio levels cannot. I believe the internal speakers and the headphone share the same port and as long as my laptop believes there are headphones plugged it disables my internal. Looks like the only fix is to dig the pin out. Thanks for the input on alsamixer, I had know idea that existed, but your input allowed me to find the fix I need.

Thanks for the Help!

Comment

Working...
      X