Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone explain recovery boot drivers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can someone explain recovery boot drivers?

Hello, I have installed the 32bit Kubuntu KDE onto an older computer.We have other 64 bit I7 computers but I was hoping to use this older one for guests web browsing and my grandchildren.I enjoy Kubuntu so much on our more modern computers I decided I would add it to the older one.The install went well and it runs well, but I can only boot into Kubuntu through the recovery boot, not changing anything on that boot, just resuming from the recovery GUI.Through Googling I see that this is a display driver issue.Snooping from the terminal I see that display is unclaimed also in a system information program I notice that it says SDDM is crashing on normal boot .This is because the older computer has onboard graphics that I believe Linux has stopped using.The driver is here in Linux tar.gz but is very old https://downloadcenter.intel.com/dow...?product=81530.I tried to install it but it said I did not have a compiler for the nodules.I am not experienced enough to go further.Also, I'm not sure what would happen if I did install such an old driver? Can I not just use the drivers that are being used in recovery boot?Your advice appreciated.
    Last edited by TNKEG; Mar 15, 2018, 01:40 PM.

likely you are booting in vesa mode , you can , boot with the "nomodeset" option and not half to go through recovery.

to test this ,,,reboot the box , when you see the grub screen press "e" you will get the edit mode for the current boot option .

use the arrow key to scroll down to "linux" use the > arrow key to scroll over to just past "quiet splash" then type in "nomodeset" (without the quotes) and then press "ctrl+x" to boot with the ONE time edit .

if it works then we will go over how to make it permanent.

then we can work on that driver if necessary.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

O and just what is the computer in question ,,,make,model ,GPU info ?

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        O and just what is the computer in question ,,,make,model ,GPU info ?

VINNY
        This is an old Pentium 4 Dell/ Insignia D400 with Intel 845G onboard graphics, that served us well for many years.It is retired to an upstairs bedroom but I use it some still, especially in winter when its warmer upstairs.Also my grandchildren are young but they enjoy kids games and Youtube, but they are hard on my everyday computer, LOL.I thought this machine would be a good one for such simple tasks.I forgot to mention that I am also stuck at a set resolution of 640x480 but have seen information that I can edit fstab to get another resolution.It may be that if I cant find a driver, I may have to search for an ancient graphics card which I'm sure would be cheap.I will try your "edit boot" this evening and post back.Your help is appreciated.

Comment

Yes, the "nomodeset" command edited into the boot worked, thanks.It normal booted Kubuntu rather quickly consider the desktops age.I would like to make it permanent and maybe see if I can get out of this 640x480 resolution,

Comment

Originally posted by TNKEG View Post
            This is an old Pentium 4 Dell/ Insignia D400 with Intel 845G onboard graphics, that served us well for many years.It is retired to an upstairs bedroom but I use it some still, especially in winter when its warmer upstairs.Also my grandchildren are young but they enjoy kids games and Youtube, but they are hard on my everyday computer, LOL.I thought this machine would be a good one for such simple tasks.I forgot to mention that I am also stuck at a set resolution of 640x480 but have seen information that I can edit fstab to get another resolution.It may be that if I cant find a driver, I may have to search for an ancient graphics card which I'm sure would be cheap.I will try your "edit boot" this evening and post back.Your help is appreciated.
            There's some confusion or misunderstanding in your comments.

fstab holds mounting information for file systems and has zero to do with graphics resolution. "fixing" your resolution has to do with the X window system, not your hard drives.

The integrated Intel 845G should use the Intel driver already on your system, but additional settings can be entered into /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf. If this file exists on your system, post it's contents here.

To determine what's happening at boot time with your video card, review /var/log/Xorg.0.log and looks for warnings indicated by a (WW) or errors (EE). Usually, errors are fatal so you may not find any of those. To see what resolutions are currently available, run "xrandr" in a terminal and post the output.

The "nomodeset" option can be made permanent by editing /etc/default/grub and adding it the the line that looks like GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" so it looks like GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset quiet splash" and then run "sudo update-grub" in a terminal.
            Last edited by oshunluvr; Mar 16, 2018, 11:41 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X