X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Virtual Desktops deprecated ??

I'm running a very current kubuntu.
    (Ubuntu 17.10 / 64 with KDE Plasma 5.10.5)

I was asked in another thread if I was running Activities or Virtual Desktops. I am currently using Activities because every time I've tried to use Virtual Desktops they are all the same... I cannot seem to have different desktops for different needs (or maybe I just don't understand the concept behind Virtual Desktops). Also, all the documentation I have found (so far) on Virtual Desktops is OLD (2009), and much of it does not match current layouts/options. Therefore, I'm wondering if Virtual Desktops are still in play. If yes, how can they be customized for specific areas of work?

T-I-A
    Last edited by tovian; Feb 27, 2018, 02:00 PM.

Virtual Desktops. Think of 'extended desktop'. There is/was a way to place different wallpapers on each Virtual Desktop (to distinguish one from another). Activities are 'different'. I happen to be one who simply can't get my head around Activities, maybe because I don't have any need for segregated 'work spaces'. If you are comfortable with Activities, you don't need to use Virtual Desktops, and I wouldn't worry about them. The function to use them exists, but if you don't want/need to do so, no problem.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Virtual desktops are still there. System Settings> Workspace> Desktop Behavior> Virtual Desktops.

There are some differences. I think Activities have more options and flexibility. I don't use either anymore.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have been using Activities for several years and it serves me well..
        Activity/Desktop 1 - Main
        Activity/Desktop 2 - Linux (all my Linux notes and reference materials
        Activity/Desktop 3 - Development (when I just have to write a bash script, or test some new "thingamajigger")
        I've never been able to figure out Virtual desktops but the name sounds more minimalistic than "Activities".
        If all I need/want is discrete desktops then "the simpler the better".

I guess I have enough info for now.

Comment

Originally posted by tovian View Post
          I guess I have enough info for now.
          Hi,

You may consider installing the kubuntu-backports ppa to get upgraded software with bug-fixes, etc.

See https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-backports-PPA for more.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post

see ... for more.
            thank you

Comment

Working...
            X