X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] .desktop file -shortcut- not working

I'm running a very current kubuntu.
    (Ubuntu 17.10 / 64 with KDE Plasma 5.10.5)

I have defined 3 activities (desktops). On my main (original) desktop all my .desktop entries (shortcuts) work correctly and launch the application/command properly. On my second and third desktops I can right-click an application from the main menu then select add to desktop. That works correctly, but when I double-click the icon (shortcut) the .desktop file opens in Kwrite and I'm looking at the text file.

I know I did this to myself when I was presented with a choice about how to open .desktop files. I was rushing and clicked the wrong option. Now, I cannot get back to the default operation.

I've already tried deleting an activity and re-creating it. That did not work. Is my only option to re-install kubuntu or is this fixable?

Thanks in advance...
    Last edited by tovian; Feb 27, 2018, 01:50 PM.

Welcome to KFN.

It's fixable. I can't tell you how, but hang out and you will get the answer you need.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Are you using Activities or Virtual Desktops? They're not the same thing.

Anyway, try this: cat ~/.config/kiorc

Which should result in this:
      Code:
      [Confirmations]
      ConfirmDelete=true
      ConfirmTrash=false

[Executable scripts]
      behaviourOnLaunch=execute
      If your last line says:
      Code:
      behaviourOnLaunch=open
      you've found your problem. Edit it and save and try again.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Are you using Activities or Virtual Desktops?
        Activities

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Edit it and save and try again.
        Done and done. It is now working correctly.

THANKS VERY MUCH

btw: If I have an app (Firefox) open in/on my first activity is there a way I can push it to a different activity? I tried a drag/drop onto the Activities navigation bar, but that didn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by tovian View Post
          Activities...

...If I have an app (Firefox) open in/on my first activity is there a way I can push it to a different activity? I tried a drag/drop onto the Activities navigation bar, but that didn't work.
          Yes. Right-click on the top of the window - on the title bar. An "Activities" option will appear. If you hover over it, you should see a selection menu where you can select which activity to display that window on along with "All" - which would display it on every activity desktop.

Please Read Me

Comment

Good Answer... works perfectly. THANK YOU !!

Comment

Working...
            X