Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Resurrecting an old issue- Why can't I unmount a USB stick without ejecting it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Resurrecting an old issue- Why can't I unmount a USB stick without ejecting it?

This has been haunting me for years. I just did a 'net search on this subject and found old posts of my own from as far back as 2012. One was a discussion between myself, Snowhog, and Claydoh! Anyway...

...The issue is [RANT] one cannot simply unmount a USB thumb drive (stick) without using the command line. Dolphin won't do it and neither will the Device Notifier. The only option, once the stick is mounted, is to "Safely Remove" which disconnects the stick from the system requiring you to pull it out, count to 2, and plug it back in. Freakin' annoying, stupid, and unnecessary. My PC sits under my desk on the floor a few feet away and my monitor has USB ports on the back of it that are reachable with enough twisting of the wrist and elbow to qualify me as a contortionist. [/RANT]

To validate what I'm saying, here's my Dolphin options for my mounted SSD:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171011_112552.png
Views:	1
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	649238

You see "Unmount" is the only option - appropriately because it's a fixed device.

However, when I select my USB stick:

Name:	Screenshot_20171011_112616.png
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	649239

All I get is "Safely Remove" which is effectively equal to "Eject" and no other options. This is not appropriate because there are times when you would want to unmount the device without ejecting it. For example, this morning I needed my 64GB stick to transfer some data to a windows machine. So I inserted it, looked at what was on it so I could save any needed files, then I wanted to format it. So I had to "Eject" it, pull it out and plug it back in, then I could format it.

Conclusion: SO after all this ranting and years of this bugging me, I discovered the Partition Manager can, and does, allow you to unmount a partition and reformat it without ejecting it. I don't know if this is new functionality in Partition Manager or I just didn't know about it. Regardless, I was using the wrong GUI "tool" for the job. I am no longer sure if Dolphin or at least the Device Notifier actually need unmount functionality for USB sticks.

It seems the File Manager is not a Device or a Partition Manager ...

...appropriately.

Please Read Me

not anything to do with your [RANT]><[/RANT] , but you do know that you can by ,and their cheep , a USB extension cord to keep your wrist safe ,,,,you can even get this strange thing called a hub to go in the end of it .

really I am surprised that YOU of all people did not know the partitionManager had an "unmount" button ,,,,,or would balk at a simple unmount on the CLI ,,,,,,slipity slap ,tisk tisk

but just kidding .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      not anything to do with your [RANT]><[/RANT] , but you do know that you can by ,and their cheep , a USB extension cord to keep your wrist safe ,,,,you can even get this strange thing called a hub to go in the end of it .

really I am surprised that YOU of all people did not know the partitionManager had an "unmount" button ,,,,,or would balk at a simple unmount on the CLI ,,,,,,slipity slap ,tisk tisk

but just kidding .

VINNY
      Yes, of course I can do it at the command line, but I think it's "safer" when formatting a stick to use the GUI just because more information is at your fingertips to ensure you're formatting the right device. Obviously I guess, I haven't used Partition Manager much. Today, for the first time ever, I right-clicked on the lock icon on the stick's partition and lo-and-behold a menu option appeared to unmount it <forehead slap>

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Today, for the first time ever, I right-clicked on the lock icon on the stick's partition and lo-and-behold a menu option appeared to unmount it <forehead slap>
        do not you (I do)hate it when necessary options are semi hidden like that ,,,,,, this is not a zelda game where it's neet to find the hidden stuff ,,,it's an application dam it

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Hey Vinny, it's similar in gparted, too, where things like unmount are on a right-click menu. We always check and use right-click menus in computer use, but, again, in a GUI partition editor, you (i.e., I) don't always think of that.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I live dangerously and yank it out right after the file is complete. Never have an issue.

Name:	download.jpg
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	643644

It is inserting them I have an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
              I live dangerously and yank it out right after the file is complete. Never have an issue.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7193[/ATTACH]

It is inserting them I have an issue.
              LOL ,,,now thats a good one

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

My wife says it takes three times to get thumbdrive right. I try to tell her if you look at it you can tell the top from the bottom but she insists otherwise.
                If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                  My wife says it takes three times to get thumbdrive right. I try to tell her if you look at it you can tell the top from the bottom but she insists otherwise.
                  3 sounds about right based on my experience as well
                  Last edited by dequire; Oct 12, 2017, 09:42 AM.
                  ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                    Sounds like our wives are related...

Please Read Me

Comment

related to me ...
                      I can never insert a USB stick in the correct orientation on the first try. You'd think that with a 50-50 chance I'd get it right at least half the time, but no joy. The laws of chance are the only laws you can't count on!
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                      X