X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] New Kubuntu Install Locks Up - Force Shutdown Needed

Hi all

I'm not that new to Kubuntu I have installed it on a few devices now, but dual booting on my desktop is driving my head in.

Every time I install it onto my desktop running I5 3500k GTX660 etc I log in and within a few seconds the whole desktop has locked up, and the only way to fix it is to force shutdown. I'm thinking it's driver conflicts?

Version 16.10

Hi,

did you install any drivers and if so which ones?. You should be using the "nvidia-304" package for your GPU:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...x/114708/en-us

To install via the terminal, use the following command:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-375

You can also boot into recovery mode and activate network (a cable network connection required) and then drop to root and type the command there, restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del!

You can also try running the following command:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Another recovery method would be to run "dpkg":
    Attached Files
    Last edited by stephen46710; Mar 26, 2017, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrestedCracker View Post
      Hi all

I'm not that new to Kubuntu I have installed it on a few devices now, but dual booting on my desktop is driving my head in.

Every time I install it onto my desktop running I5 3500k GTX660 etc I log in and within a few seconds the whole desktop has locked up, and the only way to fix it is to force shutdown. I'm thinking it's driver conflicts?

Version 16.10
      Well no offence, but guessing what's causing it isn't going to help much. Start by looking in your log files and seeing what's causing the breakage. /var/log/syslog and /var/log/Xorg.0.log would be good places to start.

Boot up but don't log in, hit ALT-F1 and log into the terminal, then review your logs. Take note of the last couple of lines and the timestamps. Then hit ALT-F7 and log in to the GUI. Wait for it to lock, then force a reboot. Log into the terminal again and re-read the log files and see what, if anything new appeared at the end. If nothing is logging, it could be a hardware issue.

If you're not familiar with command line entries, to view the logs type:

cat /var/log/syslog

and

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Post what you find out...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by stephen46710 View Post
        Hi,

did you install any drivers and if so which ones?. You should be using the "nvidia-304" package for your GPU:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-d...-304.51-driver

To install via the terminal, use the following command:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-304

You can also boot into recovery mode and activate network (a cable network connection required) and then drop to root and type the command there, restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del!

You can also try running the following command:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

Another recovery method would be to run "dpkg":
        According to nVidia, the 375 driver is the most current for the GTX 660

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          According to nVidia, the 375 driver is the most current for the GTX 660

Thanks for that, I have edited my earlier post, I don't know what happened there?.

Comment

Thanks, updated the drivers and it's all good now, cheers.

Comment

Working...
            X