Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so now we have no root mode GUI file manager by default?

well Krusader still works as root !

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131 View Post

Code:
      +#ifndef [COLOR=#ff0000]Q_OS_WIN[/COLOR]
      +    // Check whether we are running as root
      +    if (getuid() == 0) {
      +        std::cout << "Executing Dolphin as root is not possible." << std::endl;
      +        return EXIT_FAILURE;
      Rog, I see the the git log of main.cpp that it was committed on Feb 19, 2017. HOWEVER, that commit for main.cpp ONLY includes the test for the Window OS, not Linux, exactly as shown above.
      Code:
      #ifndef Q_OS_WIN
          // Check whether we are running as root
          if (getuid() == 0) {
              std::cout << "Executing Dolphin as root is not possible." << std::endl;
              return EXIT_FAILURE;
          }
      #endif
      How do they expect to trap the use of Dolphin as root on Linux when they only test for Windows?
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 30, 2017, 09:34 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        so now we have no root mode GUI file manager by default?

well Krusader still works as root !

VINNY
        Hopefully

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=378169

Elvis Blanco 2017-03-27 19:28:43 UTC

So, they just decided i can't open Dolphin as root?

Elvis Angelaccio 2017-03-28 21:06:59 UTC

Yes, because running Dolphin as root is dangerous. Hopefully Dolphin 17.12 will be able to edit root files in the proper way (polkit). More details here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=152150#c7
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Rog, I see the the git log of main.cpp that it was committed on Feb 19, 2017. HOWEVER, that commit for main.cpp ONLY includes the test for the Window OS, not Linux, exactly as shown above.
          Code:
          #ifndef Q_OS_WIN
             // Check whether we are running as root
             if (getuid() == 0) {
                 std::cout << "Executing Dolphin as root is not possible." << std::endl;
                 return EXIT_FAILURE;
             }
          #endif
          How do they expect to trap the use of Dolphin as root on Linux when they only test for Windows?
          The !7.04 (beta - Linux) Dolphin is telling: "Executing Dolphin as root is not possible."
          https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=378169 -> https://bugsfiles.kde.org/attachment.cgi?id=104763

Beta: https://marc.info/?l=kde-release-tea...5650606535&w=2

I think that you are thinking #ifdef - the code is using not defined: #ifndef.

Comment

Ah, right. Missed the 'n'. Thanks for catching that. Closing the barn door on Windows after the horses have left wouldn't make much sense to me either.

I do most of my serious work in root with mc, but having root actions on Dolphin as a user was great. I'll miss it. May try Vinny's solution
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 31, 2017, 09:58 AM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

editing files is only one reason to use dolphin as root ,,,what about drag and dropping to make a link?

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

editing files is only one reason to use dolphin as root ,,,what about drag and dropping to make a link?

VINNY
                Yup. I suspect that because a lot of folks won't be able to run Dolphin as root they'lll walk away from Neon and Kubuntu or, perhaps, KDE itself.

The time for Linux being an OS for nerds has long past and now the majority of users are not any more computer literate than the average Windows user. I suspect that they'll take convenience over security and vote with their feet.

If editing config and other script files as root without running Dolphin as root is the goal then making sudoedit drop dead easy to use is a must. Perhaps assigning $EDITOR in the same system settings "Applications" panel that declares the browser or email client and making sudoedit an option when you right mouse click on a file owned by root. That way, while running Dolphin under my account I could browse to /etc/somedir/somefile, right click on it, and select "sudoedit this file as root". I would be asked for my account password, Kate would open up with somefile being displayed. I make the edits and save it.

The problem would be when I wanted to modify the directory & file arrangements. But, I can't think of a time in the last 10 years when I've made changes to the / hierarchy. When I need to make file changes as root I usually open a Konsole and sudo mc. I often use mc (Midnight Commander) to edit files owned by root as well.

Comment

The sad thing is most don't realize that it's these types of "restrictions" that keep our systems safe.

Please Read Me

Comment

KDE file manager problem

I'm surprised at the number of folks who shrug their shoulders at the mention of the need for security. Maybe some of that nonchalance is because the NSA, CIA and other government spooks have been spying on us for decades. I read somewhere that even TOR was funded by the CIA as a way for agents abroad to connect with HQ, That the FBI had no problem taking over a pedophile onion website and run it for a year, collecting IP addresses of pervs, doesn't surprise me. Very very few ISPs, banks and businesses will buck their government's request for info on a customer, or not allow the gov to monitor live traffic. I suspect that Apple's refusal to create a backdoor for the FBI in the San Bernidino shooting was a ruse. The FBI claimed that they got an Israeli firm to do it. Uh huh.

The only people we are keeping out of our systems, Linux included, are Joe and Sally Sixpacks and the script kiddies, not the State agents or professional thieves. Intel's internal "8th core" back door was recently revealed, which bypasses every operating system and allows remote attackers full access to any system using Intel's CPUs. China makes essentially ALL our computers and parts. I have little doubt that they have their own back doors in the firmware they put on the mobo.
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 01, 2017, 08:35 AM.

Comment

VINNY
                      Meanwhile

1) The links can be made with the KDE service menus (not drag&drop) - either make your own or edit the RootActions. A mockup:

2) There are plenty of fish in the sea - 16 Best Linux file managers: https://www.slant.co/topics/2090/~linux-file-managers

Giving the pcmanfm-qt a quick test: Option to run as root & make symlinks.

3) If you don't mind to build/edit from the source: There could be alternative versions of the KDE applications: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?...136907#p366219

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        I'm surprised at the number of folks who shrug their shoulders at the mention of the need for security. Maybe some of that nonchalance is because the NSA, CIA and other government spooks have been spying on us for decades. I read somewhere that even TOR was funded by the CIA as a way for agents abroad to connect with HQ, That the FBI had no problem taking over a pseudophile onion website and run it for a year, collecting IP addresses of pervs, doesn't surprise me. Very very few ISPs, banks and businesses will buck their government's request for info on a customer, or not allow the gov to monitor live traffic. I suspect that Apple's refusal to create a backdoor for the FBI in the San Bernidino shooting was a ruse. The FBI claimed that they got an Israeli firm to do it. Uh huh.

The only people we are keeping out of our systems, Linux included, are Joe and Sally Sixpacks and the script kiddies, not the State agents or professional thieves. Intel's internal "8th core" back door was recently revealed, which bypasses every operating system and allows remote attackers full access to any system using Intel's CPUs. China makes essentially ALL our computers and parts. I have little doubt that they have their own back doors in the firmware they put on the mobo.
                        Honestly Jerry, I meant "Keeping our systems safe from unintended file deletion or inappropriate or damaging editing" not keeping us safe from whatever boogiemen are out there. I somehow doubt using Dolphin with kdesudo will alert the guys in black helicopters to swoop in and take a look at the pictures of my kids. Next time I'll try and post more specifically.

Please Read Me

Comment

As far as Dolphin and root functionality goes, since I'm a CLI guy anyway, I use Dolphin to navigate to a directory and then hit F4 and do my root business as the Linux Gods intended - at the command line with "sudo"

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm having a problem excepting this ,,,,,this is linux ,,,we are supposed to be able to do whatever we want with our systems and if your <root> you are supposed to be able to do anything ,,,even launch dolphin .

I would understand a warning ,,,,,,,,,"WARNING running dolphin as root can destroy your system are you sure you want to continue yes/no"

but to disable the option altogether is ,,,,,,,well ,,,,, kind of evil overlordish ,,,,,like the children cant think for themselves so the linux god's must take their fork before they poke out their own eye's

MAD VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                              As far as Dolphin and root functionality goes, since I'm a CLI guy anyway, I use Dolphin to navigate to a directory and then hit F4 and do my root business as the Linux Gods intended - at the command line with "sudo"
                              I do that quite a bit as well. Makes it easy. But, as root in Dolphin, the properties button makes it nice to change ownerships and permissions, etc... The older I get the worse my memory is. CLI tools and their options are fading fast. At least a GUI like Dolphin gives hints (labels).

Comment

I'm having a problem excepting this ,,,,,this is linux ,,,we are supposed to be able to do whatever we want with our systems and if your <root> you are supposed to be able to do anything ,,,even launch dolphin .

I would understand a warning ,,,,,,,,,"WARNING running dolphin as root can destroy your system are you sure you want to continue yes/no"

but to disable the option altogether is ,,,,,,,well ,,,,, kind of evil overlordish ,,,,,like the children cant think for themselves so the linux god's must take their fork before they poke out their own eye's

MAD VINNY
                                The change was not pushed because you can do a lot damage when you run apps as root carelessly...you can do that quite effectively in the command line or indeed with dolphin once the policykit integration makes it way into dolphin hopefully in the near future.

The reason they made the change is that X Window is not really a secure system and talking to it as root (by launching a GUI app as root)...provides an attack surface. [How big a threat a hostile takeover via this surface is somewhat debatable].

Like I mentioned before, IMO the policykit integration should have been done before disabling this functionality, but my semi-educated guess is that they, at least partly, wanted to speed up the development of the policykit integration, making it a bigger priority through necessity.

At least there are still options. I took up krusader, which I have used sporadically before, but never went through with setting it up just right...until now. (And so far I'm generally liking it better than dolphin...especially when working with the keyboard...in mc style).

Comment

Working...
                                X