This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] Plasma Crashes constantly

I Have updated to Kubuntu 16.04 64Bit.Now Plasma crashes every few minutes and the screen has what looks like lightening bolts flashing across it. Occasionally the screen has pieces missing. I also loaded some desktops using Symantic and sddm but they do not show up.
    ANY help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Dick

Updated from what prior version?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I updated from Kubuntu 16.04 32Bit trying to keep up to date to the latest version in everything.
      Dick

Comment

"32Bit" and you updated to a 64-bit? Updating/upgrading to an architecture that is different from what is installed isn't possible -- I believe. But if it is/were possible, I'd think there would be problems of sorts. Again, I 'believe' this to be true, but I've been wrong before, and will be again, so....

Comment

I burned and installed the 64 BIT version after deleting the other.

Comment

Ah, okay. To be clear, "deleting the other", did that include the /home partition, assuming you had a separate /home?

Comment

I took a picture of each of my two hard drives but I cannot get dropbox to work. What is the easiest way to send them. (Consider that I am not to swift to day. I am 84 and have good and bad days.

(Images posted by Snowhog)
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 19, 2016, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Can you save the pictures to your hard drive as either a .jpg or .png image? If 'yes', then you can attach them to a post here. If 'no', then you can, if you want, email them to me:

snowhog @ kubuntuforums . net

(remove the spaces of course)

Comment

It all crashed this AM and the only way I,could get back in was to use the dvd. My GRUB shows that I have two ubuntu OS's but the first one opens Kubuntu, which is what I installed. Grub will not scroll down to the second and calls them both ubuntu. I figure I will try to change that when I get these others solved.
                  dick

Comment

To check changing the partitions I sent in the pictures should I start a new thread? I think I have them set wrong. I did not really know what i was doing when I installed the Kubuntu. Plasma still crashes every 10minutes or so.
                    Thanks.
                    Dick

Comment

Originally posted by reb81 View Post
                      To check changing the partitions I sent in the pictures should I start a new thread? I think I have them set wrong. I did not really know what i was doing when I installed the Kubuntu. Plasma still crashes every 10minutes or so.
                      Thanks.
                      Dick
                      Don't start a new thread, do a clean install. You have two drives, sda and sdb. You have both sdb1 and sda2 with boot flags set. You also have too many partitions created on both drives.

Use your larger 150GB drive, sda, as your boot drive and do a fresh install of Kubuntu onto it. During the install phase select sda as the target and let Kubuntu take all of it. (Unless you plan to do a lot of video editing you don't need a swap drive, especially if your RAM is 4GB or larger.) You should be given the option of using the entire drive. Take it. That way you don't have to worry about how much root or home should have. All the space becomes available to which ever needs it at the time. If the grub installation asked where it should be installed choose sda1. Ignore sdb until after the installation is complete. When Kubuntu is up and running after you reboot that's the time to use KDE Partition Manager to reformat sdb. BE CAREFUL to choose sdb. Delete all the existing partions on sdb and create one big partition formated with ext4. Give it a label: /data, or something of your own choosing. Since it is on a separate device you could call it /backup and use it to back up your home account. Just a suggestion.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I remember when it showed the entire drive. I may not have to format anything when doing the install.
                        Dick

Comment

I followed your instructions and all seems to be good except I have no GRUB.I ran the Grub rescue disk but it is not there. Also Plasma still crashes and I have to reboot.
                          Dick

Comment

Originally posted by reb81 View Post
                            I followed your instructions and all seems to be good except I have no GRUB.I ran the Grub rescue disk but it is not there. Also Plasma still crashes and I have to reboot.
                            Dick
                            If your new installation has no grub then how did you boot into it?
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                            X