X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] Muon Updater woes continue.

Me again...
    It's another long-standing issue.
    Updates Notification in System Tray does NOT reflect the true state. Having just updated (successfully) by Muon Updater, the System Tray icon shows red (still issues). Can we PLEEZ have a resolution to this before 16.04 LTS?

Yet again! I had it disappear after installing a full Muon, and got it back with a bit of help. Part-way (installed notifier) I got a notification of clear shield with green tick - all OK - but it stayed that way for some time so I suspected it. Terminal update/dist-upgrade confirmed my suspicions by getting some more upgrade done, so I tried another search for info. Synaptic-install of muon updater bits (RE-install of the full-muon's clobbered bits) Got black shield with red x - Not-OK - and report of 4 to update, 2 security. Doing this updated 2 (the security ones?), ignoring the other 2, and no change to shield or report - still 4 and 2 - back to square one! What the hell is wrong here ? With this flaky, and my other issues around sound stuff (ALSA/Pulse inadequacy and flakiness and bluetooth woes, I am now extremely reluctant to recommend Kubuntu (and Linux in general) as a workhorse. Sad, until 15.04 I was happy (though hadn't tried bluetooth at that stage).

Comment

I agree about Muon Updater, as would a lot of people here.

It IS...better than it used to be.

I, personally try Muon Updater on a dialy basis or when prompted and maybe.......dunno.......... every ten / twenty tries, it fails.

In fact, it failed regularly a few weeks back, day in and day out, and, when I tried in terminal it sometimes didn't work. Which, to me, means that there "other things going on "upstream" maybe" for which Muon is not directly responsibe....

If you put terminal in the favourites, it is just a few more key strokes than Muon.

So, I don't really foresee a quick resolution to it.

To that end, I usually sudo apt-get update in terminal

As a side comment; other distros also have problems with it and some have even tried their hand at making new versions but they often don't work as well either. I'm not justifying things, just commenting on the state of the nation as it were.

woodwishIcouldhelpmoresmoke
      Last edited by woodsmoke; Mar 10, 2016, 11:23 PM.
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Thanks for that, woodsmoke. The whole idea of it is an at-a-glance notification that attention is needed/desirable. Like remembering to take your meds, remembering to update/upgrade is (humanly) fallible.
        I'm also struggling with audio, with the latest advice I've been given being "OSS". That, to me, is admission of defeat - back to basics , with too much obscured by later systems ... Haven't tried it yet, it's going to be some work clearing out the superfluous clutter. Wonder if it's worth it with 16.04 not too far away.
        I like your Kojak signoff

Comment

lol thank you don't know that I helped much. lol

As to Kojak, I just love(d) the shows. Watched them as a kid and then late night on cable WGN. Now I have all of the shows on pirated DVDs, didn't know they were pirated until I got them, well into ten years ago from Amazon.

I watch one a week or so but also have watched the "Christmas" show "How cruel the frost, how bright the stars". yearly, Amazing number of people who were, or would become, stars in their own right that were on the show!

It is one of my favourite pics.

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

You helped alright, just letting me know I wasn't 'howling at the moon'. I also like your description of Midwest as 'flyover country'.
            My Bluetooth woes are at: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...Bluetooth-woes, and there's also intermittent appearance of the Volume Control widget (plasmoid?) in the system tray.
            We don't get Cable here (NZ!) but some shows appear here on Freeview. I get my shows largely by shares, there's little else here.

Comment

I pretty much agree with Woody in his Post #3 about living with and getting along with Muon. It sure ain't perfect! But, somehow, on balance, it keeps me going. Of course, some people use the command line exclusively. Here's another recent experience and some comments re Muon Package Manager:
              https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...in-system-tray
              I hope you get yours going the way you'd like, good luck, keep us posted.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

deleted to reply-with-quote ...
                Last edited by Fester Bestertester; Mar 11, 2016, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                  I pretty much agree with Woody in his Post #3 about living with and getting along with Muon. It sure ain't perfect! But, somehow, on balance, it keeps me going. Of course, some people use the command line exclusively. Here's another recent experience and some comments re Muon Package Manager:
                  https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...in-system-tray
                  I hope you get yours going the way you'd like, good luck, keep us posted.
                  Thanks for that 3-liner - it seems to have restored some sanity.
                  'til now, it's been "the dog-end in my beer-can, the stone in my left shoe ... the snowdrift on my motorway, the snake in my grass". (Billy Connolly quote)

Comment

Could you give just one more example so I can fully understand ...
                    Just kidding.

Glad that 3-liner helps for now.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Something I noticed with line 3: most of what was done seemed to be cleaning up redundant kernel headers.
                      I boot my system with a SuperGrub CD. I found Grub will not be detected if installed on other than partition 1 of a device. SuperGrub finds it. My system is installed on partition 4 (5 is swap, both these secondary on 6), and Grub is on this (5). This leaves the original system (Win7 upped to 10) as a default ("Vista" chain-loader) boot without the CD.
                      After Terminal upgrade the old Linux shows in the SuperGrub boot, so I move the old /boot files to /boot/old till clean operation is verified. Looks like the headers are left behind. I think I'll create a .sh file of the 3-liner to run as a clean-up utility. Of course, with (now-)operational Muon Updater this may well not be needed.
                      Cheers!
                      Last edited by Fester Bestertester; Mar 11, 2016, 03:33 PM.

Comment

Some of us here use the cleanup utility Bleachbit (which can be installed using Muon Package Manager). When you configure Bleachbit, you can select to clean Apt (which will do autoclean, autoremove, and clean). Of course, as usual, YMMV and be cautious that cleaning doesn't mess something up in your system ...

Comment

The way "I" run my system is as follows:

• Enable 'all' repositories: Muon Package Manager > Settings > Configure Software Sources > Kubuntu Software (all except Source Code [I don't build from source]
                          • Other Software tab: Binary; http://archive.canonical.com/utuntu; xenial; partner
                          • Updates: Kubuntu updates [all checked]
                          • Automatic udpates [Check for updates Daily; Only notify about available updates
                          • Release upgrade [Long term support releases only]

The only ppa I am using is claydoh's kmymoney: http://ppa.launchpad.net/clayoh/kmymoney2-kde4/ubuntu xenial main

All my package management is done from the command line:

sudo apt-get update
                          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Absolutely no exceptions to this setup/routine.

It is my belief that those who experience problems with Kubuntu generally have installed one or more packages [programs] from a downloaded .deb file, or are using ppa sources for particular programs they want that are not available in the Ubuntu standard repositories. Either of these two situations is almost certainly; over time; to produce system problems.

Even when I have chosen to install/use a 'testing' release of Kubuntu, I generally never have any of the issues that others often post about.
                          Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 11, 2016, 04:11 PM.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                            Could you give just one more example so I can fully understand ...
                            Just kidding.

Glad that 3-liner helps for now.
                            Since last, I've done 2 updates with it. It's basically sane, but still gets the remnant. The Updater definitely needs to implement that 3-liner (or the critical part of it) at the end. Any way to report that to the dev/s?

Also: Re: my Mar 12 posting, if line 3 (sudo apt-get -f install) reports redundant kernel headers, a line 4 (sudo apt-get autoremove) also required, and reboot to follow all.
                            Last edited by Fester Bestertester; Mar 16, 2016, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Any way to report that to the dev/s?
                              See this today (and the posts there):
                              https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post385192

Comment

Working...
                              X