X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clearing the Muon application update notifier icon in system tray

fyi,

In 14.04, kept getting the Muon Application Update Notifier icon telling that I had one package upgradeable. Clicking on it, but it comes up saying "all done," no updates to do. This happens sometimes. I ignore it. Sometimes, I open Muon, click on and sort by upgradeable, check for updates, and I may find one; or it may say none to do--and sometimes this clears up the update icon in system tray. This time nothing worked to clear the update icon; and yet there were no updates to do. The update icon persisted for 15 hours.

So, for fun, I tried one of the usual formulas for repairing apt, and this worked to clear that update icon (and btw, there were no updates to do). Fyi, that formula is,

Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get -f install
    So, there ya go, huh?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Yeah, I've struck the same problem on occasions, it's quite odd behaviour. It must be an obscure bug in the update process somewhere. I usually just ignore it same as you do and it goes away eventually. I've never had it persist like that though.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Hi Rod J. Yeah, these little things are never show-stoppers for me. IME, every OS has little nuances, some permanent, some come and go. My Windows XP was full of them and no KB article or forum could fully solve them all. (And my wife's Windows 8.1 certainly has glitches, especially around updates ...) I have had several little updates of obscure packages I didn't recognize, so maybe something tripped something up, but that 3-line formula helps in many situations (and there are other formulas for 'fixing apt'). Basically, for me, 14.04 has been rock-solid easy and safe and without any perplexing puzzles.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
      X