This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[KDE] 20 seconds freeze after login

Hi, I'm using kubuntu 14.04.3 for about two weeks and I have the same issue since beginning:

In short:
    When I reach the desktop after login the system is unresponsive for about 10 to 20 seconds.

More details
    When i login to desktop some of the system try icons are missing (not hidden), to be more specific kmix, cliper, update notifer, and muon update notifer, in other words i can see only network manager icon, and until all of them appear the system is unresponsive.
    I can not open any apps and sometimes even the whole kde UI is not responsive except the cursor.

What I have tried
    - I have read about pulseaudio issue and try to remove pulse-audio-kde and pulse-audito from /etx/xdg/autostart
    - I disabled kmix to autostart.

Have I noticed improvements?
    -No

My hardware:
    CPU: Intel I5 2500
    MB: Gigabyte P67 A UD3 B3
    GPU: Assus GTX 560
    HDD: WD blue 500 GB for storage and Samsung 840 EVO for OS.

From grub to Desktop It takes about 10 - 12 seconds which is fine, but then the annoying 20 seconds freeze occurs.

Also I dual boot kubuntu and windows 8.1.

I thought this was normal. I also use 14.04, and see the same thing. I thought the system was still just "loading up" for that extra 10-20 seconds. IOW, for me NBD. It's much worse when I see Windows 8.1 boot up, much longer "freeze" at the Desktop until all icons are responsive.

So, is this normal? or is this a real problem? I have no clue.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

btw, I don't think this is unique to 14.04; I believe I've always experienced this (going back to 2006? 6.06?); it's always been true in Windows, too, AFAIK.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I would bet you have something delaying the desktop startup and it's your network connection. The evidence I use is you see the Network Manager in the system tray but nothing else - then 20-30 seconds later all is revealed. Are you using Wifi?

My desktop uses only wired ethernet so I removed Network Manager and manually configure my NICs. I have no noticeable delay in desktop loading.

Please Read Me

Comment

Well it is some issue because in the past with KDE on top of ubuntu 14.04.1 minimal.iso it weren't present.
          - Actually it was present at first but it disappeared after a while.

Also to mention that the issue remains no matter I start empty session or restore manually saved session.

Edit:
          @oshunluvr: I don't use wifi. My desktop is connected to wireless rooter but via cable if that matter.

Could you refer my a tutorial about how to manually setup network settings?

Comment

Well, I don't know of a good tutorial. I have two NIC's (ethernet ports) and I attach them both to my router so I use port aggregation (aka bonding). Network Manager doesn't support this type of connection AFAIK so I just manually do it.

Steps are:
            1) Create file /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/tail and insert domain, search and nameserver info:
            Code:
            domain smith.lan
            search smith.lan
            nameserver 192.168.1.1
            (^^ obviously, use your own info here ^^ )

2) Edit /etc/network/interfaces and add your ethernet port:
            Code:
            auto eth0
            iface eth0 inet dhcp
            3) Purge Network-Manager and reboot.

My network loads during boot up so the desktop loads faster. I do a lot of other configuring to bond the ports and create a network bridge, but you needn't do all that.

If you have wifi but want to remove your wired port only from Network Manager, you can edit the NetworkManager config file and add these
            Code:
            [main]
            plugins=ifupdown

[ifupdown]
            managed=false
            and network manager will ignore any devices listed in the interfaces file, but still control any others, like wifi.

If you try this, have another way to boot up (like a live USB) in case you accidentally break your networking.

Also - we haven't really determined if networking is the issue - it was just a guess on my part. My kernel log shows network ports activate around 7 secs, bonding/bridging set at 18 secs. You could bootchart and see what might be happening or cruise your log files during the time in question and see what's dragging you down.

Please Read Me

Comment

My boot time results are bit strange I assume, see them on imgur (was hard to read them if they were uploaded on this forum as attachments).

Acording to bootchart everey boot takes deferent amount of time, fastetst one is 15s slowest one is 50s but the most common of more than 10 reboots is 20 seconds. But according to my stopwatch everytime i got the same results, 12 seconts from grub to desktop and 10 to 20 seconds extra delay with unresponsive system.

The only deference between multiple boots can be automount feature to be on or off. But as I said before that didn't change anything in measurement the boot time and time being freezed with stopwatch.
              Last edited by bokiscout; Sep 16, 2015, 05:01 PM.

Comment

It's since about a week I see a similar ~20 secs. delay and this is with a nice SSD.
                'Since about a week' means it wasn't always so.

Only once Conky shows up I know the system is ready.

Comment

Working...
                X