Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[PLASMA 5] / [KDE4] - i have 2 kubuntu btrfs installations ...i cannot boot info both

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello!

ok i checked

my plasma5_boot partition as is kde4_boot partition are separate partitions than the rest of the system....

but if i navigate to grub.cfg in both cases it is located in

/boot/grub/grub.cfg (and the other if it is not mounted in /(plasma5_boot partition)/grub/grub.cfg...

thank you & nice day...

Simon

Comment

Ok, edit your 40_custom, change:
      configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg
      to:
      configfile /grub/grub.cfg
      save, and run update-grub again. Then report back after reboot.

BTW, for future reference: you do not need a separate /boot partition to boot to a btrfs install unless it is a multi-disk file system (more than one drive or partition in the file system, like RAID or a pool).
      Last edited by oshunluvr; Sep 07, 2015, 10:48 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Ok, edit your 40_custom, change:
        to:
        Huh!? No difference in the location.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Huh!? No difference in the location.
          Oops !

Edited...thanks Paul!

Please Read Me

Comment

hello!

you know what....IT WORKS ;-) u all the best..thank you lods...i put the same (only UUID different) in my plasma5 boot.cfg and now i can boot into both..from both.... just now since i update plasma5 plasma5 is the default system -- is there a way so kde4 is the default system (it menas hhwn i restart computer FIRST the plasma5 menu comes up and before it was kde4 menu who came first).

If i may another question: how would i have to modify you menu entry proposal if my "/boot" on system would be btrfs and not ext4?

and one last question: how come that even though my "boot" partition is ext4, in grub menu entry we wrote "insmod ext2"?

thank you so much for your answers!

amm...wanted also to mark this thread as SOLVED, but i cannot find how can i do that... am i missing a button i should press...or st helse?

thank u again... kubuntu rox..and u kubuntu ppl also rox

Sy

Comment

am..i found the "solved" button..its o ntop of the page, not inside of the message .. .thank you!

s.

Comment

Glad we got it working.

Originally posted by SimonAndric View Post
                ... just now since i update plasma5 plasma5 is the default system -- is there a way so kde4 is the default system
                There's two ways to do this:
                1) The system will boot to the last install that installed grub. Boot to the install (kde4 or plasma5) that you want as default and run sudo grub-install and that will be the default boot the next time.
                2) Simply set the default in both grub menus to the same install and update them both.

Personally, I like option #2. One thing to note: If you remove the install that last installed grub (you used grub-install from) you will not be able to boot because the grub files will have been deleted. So if you set kde4 as the boot install and run grub-install from there - be sure to boot to plasma5 and run grub-install again before you delete kde4! This is why I use a dedicated grub partition.

If i may another question: how would i have to modify you menu entry proposal if my "/boot" on system would be btrfs and not ext4?
                Change insmod ext2 to insmod btrfs. Assuming you would do this to move /boot into your main partition and delete the separate /boot partition, you would also need to edit 40_custom and change /grub/grub.cfg into /boot/grub/grub.cfg and change the UUIDs.

and one last question: how come that even though my "boot" partition is ext4, in grub menu entry we wrote "insmod ext2"?
                Honestly, it's probably not needed anyway, but the answer to your question is the ext2 module covers the ext2, 3, and 4 formats. There's no ext3 or ext4 module. You can see what modules can be loaded by looking in /boot/grub/i386-pc

thank u again... kubuntu rox..and u kubuntu ppl also rox Sy
                You're welcome and I totally agree!
                Last edited by oshunluvr; Sep 11, 2015, 10:37 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

hello!

thank you so much for your help! again thank you!

ok, that was very educational...
                  if ill have some more questions in the future i will open a new thread and ask there...

nice day!

Simon

Comment

Working...
                  X