X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] drive doesn't see empty cd

Hi
    Well, this is just strange.
    I have read and written cds with this hardware many times.

A) I have tried every piece of advice on the net, including here, that I can find about how to "mount" the drive and nothing is a fix.

B) Here is what happens:

i) I can put a cd with data on the cd into the drive and it is seen it reads the data, video, etc. I can move data from the cd in the drive onto the hard drive. It appears in the file system.
    ii) I can put a dvd into the drive and it will read it. It appears in the file system.
    iii) I can put an empty cd into the drive and the green light indicating activity flashes but it is not seen in any way shape or form. It does not appear in the file system.
    iv) I can put an empty dvd into the drive and it is not seen in any way shape or form. It does not appear in the file system.

I have restarted the system.
    I have plugged and replugged the drive.
    I have had an empty cd in the drive and restarted the system, the "green light" indicating drive activity appers but still it is not seen in the file system.

The drive is a serial ATA drive, using the small plug not the 19 pin.

Soo....it may be that the write head is not functioning, but if that is the situation then it was a catastrophic failure because it worked, oh a month ago.

Soooo any advice or do I hie meself to ye olde computer shoppe for a new drive?

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

There is no filesystem on a blank DVD/CD - it's blank. Nothing to "see" or mount - AFAIK device manager won't notify you of nothing to mount.

Open K3B and open an ISO or select some files for writing. Then when you get to the "burn" menu, insert the blank disc and see if K3B is ready to burn. If not, maybe some package or another is missing or damaged.

Please Read Me

Comment

ok! Ill try that!
      woodthankfulsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

nope didn't work
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Even if the CD is blank with no file system, your system should still recognise as a blank disk. At least it does on my machine. If you have an external DVD drive to hand I would try using that just to check if the internal drive is faulty.

Also I am assuming that the blank disks are brand new and never been used? There all perfect with no scratches or paw prints covering them?

Comment

Nick, you're right. I never noticed that the device manager does notify you of a blank insertion, I guess I was too busy to notice at those moments.

I would try a different brand of blank disc.

Are there any errors in dmesg about the insertion?

Please Read Me

Comment

+1 the ................... "try a different brand of blank disc."

I just had a similar scare ,,,,,,,,turned out about 1/4 of the disks in a walmart cheapest for the most sleeve of cd's would not be read by any computer in the house (5 of them )

+ some drives wont read all types +R -R bla bla

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hey folks thanks for the replies!

But, looks like it is the physical drive, as I've admonished in other threads by myself, check the hardware first!

After the latest update, for some reason, ...

A blank dvd is recognized by the drive and by K3B etc.

Howevr, blank cds of two name brands, Sony and Memorex , are not recognized.

So...it's off to the store! lol

Thanks again!

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                X