X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Kubuntu LTS support

Hello,
    Wonder how many years does Kubuntu offer support for LTS releases, particularly for the 12.04-LTS.
    I know Ubuntu offers 5 years, but I believe I've read somewhere Kubuntu only does it for 3 years. But 12.04-LTS is still sponsored by Ubuntu, not by the new Kubuntu sponsor. So, things are biased and couldn't find a reliable answer.
    Thanks,
    aria

Where did you "read" that? You should go back there and tell them to stop posting FUD. Goggle reveals the answer in milliseconds:

http://www.kubuntu.org/news

Welcome to Kubuntu 14.04 LTS, a brand new Long Term Supported version with the latest KDE software to enjoy.
    Long Term Support means bugfixes and security updates will be added for the next 5 years, so you can be safe to use it until 2019. New releases of important KDE Software will also be available from the Kubuntu Updates and Kubuntu Backports PPAs.

Please Read Me

Comment

Searching a bit:

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/12.04-release

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-14.04

The LTS process with the 14.04: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...14-04-also-LTS
      A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
      Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Thank you very much. 12.04 was a beautiful dream, 14.04 a nightmare.
        I approached KDE when Gnome went to GS, and now KDE offers almost the same frustrating experience with moving from KDE4.8.5 in 12.04, to KDE4.13 in 14.04. Semantic search heats the laptop every time I plug it in the AC adapter (despite the fact I'd limited semantic search for a single user, and power to always run as if on low battery)... Some old apps are going crazy, some other I relied on did disappear. New Network Manager stops working when changing apps using it, or when not using it for 3min (like when writing a 10 lines email). User Manager does not show all users, even when in the administrative account (!!!), cannot manage groups anymore, permissions are in the very wrong place, cannot chose ignore password for some user profiles, etc., etc. What's good with 14.04? Artwork, and that's it.
        So, my question was because I will reinstall 12.04, and wanted to know for sure how much time is it still supported.
        Thank you very much for the good news, I needed it,
        Last edited by aria; May 27, 2014, 10:41 PM.
        aria

Comment

Hmm. Nothing is wrong with 14.04 to answer your question. I do not think 14.04 is the problem. It works flawlessly here. Something else is going on to cause such varied problems. But if you are happy with 12.04, stick with it.
          Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
          Always consider Occam's Razor
          Rich

Comment

Actually things can be resumed to two issues:

1) The new Network Manager (NM) goes in standby unexpectedly. It cannot be the generic broadcom WiFi driver coming with 14.04, because same driver works fine in Fedora. Also, checking out and back in the WiFi does absolutely nothing. Have to disconnect and reconnect from NM, or from the laptop's hardware button. This isn't the driver anymore, but a standby issue in the NM.

2) KDE4.13 comes with another GUI for the search engine, far less customizable than KDE4.8.5. Moreover, don't know who had the bad idea to set the default search to scan the content of all documents. This busts the fan in the second and even third speed level in less than 5 min., and keeps it so for... hours? (was afraid to try it too much). This might not be an issue with a new install (maybe why did it work flawlessly to you), but it is tragically for upgrades. Because search starts to scan all the 10+ GB of documents in the home folders, and almost burnt my laptop doing this. Had to plug it of to stop semantic search (SS) to scan the content. But plugging it back in, restarted the job. With the poor customization KDE4.13 comes for search, I could only add my home directory to the "not search content" option. Thought I solved it, until tried to gscan2pdf a page: fan boosted in the third level speed before the scanner went back in position... Did search OCRised the scanned image without having it asked to do so? Possible, if the temporary file wasn't in my home directory! Should I had to add all root to the "not search content" option (the only customization available in KDE4.13)? No way folks, this is not a functional OS! It can even destroy the machine, so much does it heat.

Conclusion: 14.04 is not even at a Beta level with these NM and SS. Reinstalled 12.04 and will stick with it until no more support (Oct. 2017, if I'm right). It stays connected to the router indefinitely, and with Jupiter on, doesn't heat over 45°C in normal use, and over 50~52°C in Youtube full screen 720p. 14.04 went over 70°C in the first 2 min., with no specific job given (only the default SS scanning home folders for documents' content), and lost the Internet connection each 5 min. (after having partially solved the SS issue, although couldn't use the laptop other than on battery).
            Last edited by aria; May 27, 2014, 11:45 PM.
            aria

Comment

2) KDE4.13 comes with another GUI for the search engine, far less customizable than KDE4.8.5. Moreover, don't know who had the bad idea to set the default search to scan the content of all documents...
              Baloo links: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...71-Baloo-links

Conclusion: 14.04 is not even at a Beta level...
              Feedback to the Kubuntu developers: http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-14.04
              Last edited by Rog132; May 28, 2014, 01:19 AM.
              A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
              Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

@Rog132:
                Thanks, job done!
                aria

Comment

Working...
                X