Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

X running on tty8 instead of tty7 -- Why?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X running on tty8 instead of tty7 -- Why?

One reads in many sources, that X in *buntu runs in tty7. For quite some time now, on both of my laptops, X starts in tty8, and I don't know why. I'd like, if possible, to change "something" so that X starts where "everyone elses" starts; on tty7. I'm running KDM (I do not like LightDM).
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

How can I make X start on a different tty?: http://aplawrence.com/Unixart/xtty.html

...More modern KDM uses "kdmrc" and a "ServerVTs=-7" line. The "-7" says use tty7 but only if it is free (-)...
    Do you have the LightDM installed ?
    Maybe the LightDM is grabbing the tty7 ?

Ubuntu/Change default tty from tty7 (GUI) to tty2: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2143902
    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Thanks Rog. No, I don't have LightDM 'running', but I believe that as a package, it is installed, as it is necessary (or was) in order to have been able to reinstall KDM.

I had thought about another DM grabbing tty7 (LightDM), but as I reconfigured the DM after reinstalling KDM, I don't think that is the case. How can I confirm or deny?

Comment

Odd. I just tested this. I was indeed on tty8. Then I switched to 1, then 2 and 3...etc. When I got to 7, the screen went black except for a mouse cursor. At 8, the mouse disappeared and a small cursor was present on the main monitor upper left and the secondary monitor switched off. I lost my desktop completely.

I went back to tty1, restarted lightdm and returned to my desktop. Doing so, I'm now back at tty7. Very odd.

EDIT: I'm now able to switch to and from tty1 through 7 without losing the desktop.
        Last edited by oshunluvr; May 19, 2014, 07:11 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Here's mine now:
          Code:
          $ w
           18:09:52 up 1 day,  8:34,  7 users,  load average: 0.14, 0.35, 0.26
          USER     TTY      FROM             LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU WHAT
          stuart   tty1                      18:03    6:48   0.09s  0.08s -bash
          stuart   :0       :0               18:03   ?xdm?   6:22   0.08s init --user
          stuart   pts/5    :0               18:03    6:19   0.00s  2.05s kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit]                      
          stuart   pts/7    :0               18:03    0.00s  0.03s  0.00s w
          stuart@office:~$

Please Read Me

Comment

Mine:
            Code:
            paul@tanagra:~$ w
             18:57:44 up 56 min,  4 users,  load average: 0.14, 0.28, 0.33
            USER     TTY      FROM             LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU WHAT
            paul     :0                        18:01   ?xdm?  10:33   0.07s /usr/bin/ck-launch-session /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/im-launch x-session-manager
            paul     pts/4    :0               18:01   55:46   0.00s  9.39s kdeinit4: kded4 [kdeinit]                      
            paul     pts/5    :0               18:02   55:44   0.05s  0.05s /bin/bash
            paul     pts/6    :0               18:57    0.00s  0.05s  0.00s w
            paul@tanagra:~$

Comment

Using force.

Editing the kdmrc - /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc and taking the minus sign off from the 'ServerVTs=-7'.

The kdm is now starting to the tty7.

The greeter transition (plymouth->KDM greeter->KDE splash) is not as smooth (?) as with the LightDM or with the kdm at the tty8 but seems to work ...at here - there it may eat the puppies...

Afterthought - maybe the plymouth is reserving the tty7 ?
              Last edited by Rog132; May 20, 2014, 03:48 AM.
              A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
              Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Originally posted by Rog132 View Post
                - there it may eat the puppies...
                hehe. Funny. I'll give the removing the minus sign a try this evening and see how I fare.

Comment

Working...
                X