This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Can mice be slowed down?

It's fairly common for even budget mice to be 800dpi these days, whereas Kubuntu seems tuned by default to the old 300dpi standard. I only have to move such a mouse an inch and a bit, even with no acceleration, and it's gone from one side of the screen to the other. Setting KDE's mouse "acceleration" below 1.0 seems to have no effect. I'm having difficulty controlling these new mice well enough to hit icons, let alone use them in Gimp.

Is there a way to reduce the mouse speed in KDE? Drop every other movement tick or something?

Open up System Settings and go to Input Devices. Under the mouse menu, go to the Advanced tab and decrease the pointer acceleration.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
      Open up System Settings and go to Input Devices. Under the mouse menu, go to the Advanced tab and decrease the pointer acceleration.
      See where I said that setting the acceleration below 1.0 had no effect? As I said, I need something like a slowdown method that dropped every other tick or maybe two out of three.

Comment

Try this in a terminal:

xinput list

Determine mouse id number (in my example it's 10)

xinput list-props 10

Look for "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" and note its number (in my example 266) and rate (in my example 1.0)

xinput set-prop 10 266 3.0

Play around with this or other settings until you find the right combo then put the settings in your profile or somewhere else that activates at log in. You can use device and property names instead of numbers incase your mouse has a habit of changing device numbers, like this:

xinput "Logitech Unifying Device" "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 3.0

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks. Exactly what I needed. So the command that worked for me was:

xinput set-prop "SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse" "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 3.0

And a bit of Googling told me that the best place to put an xinput command was the lightdm startup:

In /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf add the line:

session-setup-script=/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/setup.sh

Create the file /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/setup.sh containing:

#!/bin/sh
          xinput set-prop "SIGMACHIP Usb Mouse" "Device Accel Constant Deceleration" 3.0
          true

And make sure that the execute flag is set on the file or you get stuck on the login page.
          Last edited by Dave Rove; May 08, 2014, 11:41 PM. Reason: Added "true" to script because the script would exit with an error if the mouse was unplugged, and would return to the login

Comment

Great! That was easy!

Now do mr a favor and edit your first post and mark the thread SOLVED so others know. Thanks.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
            X