X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Loading different sessions!

Hello,

I recently had to say goodbye to my old motherboard and the AMD processor and now have Intel (see below). Since the change over I find that quite often the session that presents itself on start-up was not the one I left!

Such things as wallpapers change and the layout for both Thunderbird (the emails sent/received etc.) and Firefox.

Nothing to worry about on the scale of things these days but I would still like to sort it out.

I am assuming that this is a KDE related issue so apologies if I have posted in the wrong place.

AND . . .

I am still using the AMD 64 version of Precise should I change that?

Thanks.
    Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

The "amd 64" version is the correct version for all x86 64 bit processors regardless of manufacturer.

Please be more specific about your other problem. Totally random selection of wallpapers is a new one for me. Is it your choice is not restored or is it actually picking a new wallpaper every time?

Please Read Me

Comment

Ah yes - sorry. My last choice is not restored but the one prior to that is.

Thanks for the 'AMD' bit.

Comment

First thing to check is in the Session Manager. Look for "Restore Previous Session" and make sure it's off.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by leadwt View Post
          Ah yes - sorry. My last choice is not restored but the one prior to that is.

Thanks for the 'AMD' bit.
          Is this the case for thunderbird and firefox as well?

It well could be a file permissions problem, which can happen for a number of reasons, 2 possibilities are running gui programs with 'sudo', or restoring config files that have a different user id from the current user account - how did you perform your "change over"?

Anyway, there is a simple way to fix any permissions problems for your user account, but it does involve the command-line.

First, you have to log out of KDE, as your desktop settings, etc are cached and written back to disk at logout, which can wipe out any changes you want to make.

So , log out and then hit ctrl-alt-f1 to switch to a terminal (or, if you have more than one desktop environment, log in to that, and open a terminal). Then type in the following command:

Code:
          sudo chown -R your-username:your-username /home/your-username
          Once that completes (it can take a while, depending on the number of files and system speed), hit ctrl-alt-f7 to get back to your login screen.

if you want to test it out just for thunderbird/firefox, you can do so without logging out of KDE, just close FF and Tbird, and modify the command by changing /home/your-username to /home/your-username/.mozilla (or whatever the full path to your mozilla files are stored. Then check to see if you can edit your settings there and that they stick.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            It well could be a file permissions problem, which can happen for a number of reasons, 2 possibilities are running gui programs with 'sudo', or restoring config files that have a different user id from the current user account - how did you perform your "change over"?
            That was my next suggestion

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the responses and apologies for my tardiness in getting back to you. I somehow managed to screw up my forum log-in!

I followed claydoh's advice and that worked perfectly.

As to the earlier question about the 'change over' that was done disk to disk by the techie who built my new box. Just a straight transfer of all the contents from one to the other.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X