This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Kubuntu 13.10 64 bit

When I install either from an iso or by doing an upgrade I end up with a screen that does not sync. What I mean is that the screen displays a large number if diagonal stripes. I have tried completely rebuilding the partions on my hard drive so that no residule apps are hiding somewhere. I have partitions for three operating systems, one for normal use and two more for experimentation.

Now not even installing Kubuntu 13.04 64-bit works. The same loss of sync. I would think that after redoing the partitions that 13.04 would work like it did in the past.

I hope that someone can offer some guidance.

George Dvorak

Please tell a bit more of your system: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...W-GUY-lt-lt-lt
    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

It is a Compaq machine with a dual core AMD chip and NVIDIA display. Since I am rather clobbered I don't have much more information, I have partitions for three systems and almost always have at least two working.I have run several versions of Kubuntu without problems.When I installed Kubuntu 13.10 I got this loose of sync problem, then it migrated to my Kubuntu 13.04 partition.

SsystemRescueCd runs without problems.I have removed all of my partitions and recreated them a bit differently in the hopes that some errant config file would be removed. But still I have this problem, even on a new install of Kubuntu 13.04 which had been working in the past. If i put in an install disc andf go directly to the Try option the display is messed. If instead I go to install and after I reach the hard drive settings and back out I have a display that works and I pretty much seem to be in a previously installed system.

Ideas, please. I am pretty much hosed at this point.

George Dvorak

Comment

How far can you get in the loading process before this happens? Before the Login screen or after?

If it is after:

Mine would not load after the log in screen. Because I did not have my graphics driver installed.

At login screen press Ctrl+alt+F2 > Login > "type"
        Code:
        lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga
        and post the output...

If you see you do not have the driver installed you can install by typing

Code:
         sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
        Last edited by Robtygart; Nov 06, 2013, 07:23 PM. Reason: Need more info...
        Rob

Comment

Well I answered this once, but now it is gone. I will try again! OK What is happening is that while I am typing my answer my session has timed out. Thiis time I saved!
          I began not having the install complete. I would get the message that the installation would complete soon but then even after a long time there was no change. Results were the same with Kubuntu 13.04 and Kubuntu 13.10.

I finally had success installing Kubuntu 13.10 by first going into install a short distance and then Quiting. After getting the smaller install window I went through the install process up to the screen that asks for user information. I stayed on that screen until the install finished to that point and then went on.

Then I followed Robtygart's instructions.

Doing this lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 vga
          returned this 00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: NVIDIA Corporation C61 [GeForce 6150SE nforce 430] [10de:03d0] (rev a2)
          subsystem2 Hewelett-Packard Company Device [103c:226c] Kernel Driver in use nouveau

Then I executed sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
          and repeated the first command with identical results.

Everything seemed good. I was able to begin setting up panels the way that I like them, including the pager. Eventually I got a message that a configuration was unwriteable. Checking I found that various things in Home were owned by root. I changed this and some permissions that were read only. Everything was good--then BAMNN. The pager remembered all settings except the number of screens!

Now I can open one app at a time. The title bar is missing The app window cannot be resized or moved. Even with Alt. I had gone through the settings and do not find anything obvious. Can any of you help me or should I start a new thread?

Comment

Sounds like you're having hardware issues to me. Look in your log files (/var/log) and ~/.xsession-errors. If there's nothing indicated there, I'd be suspicious of your hardware.

Please Read Me

Comment

When I install either from an iso or by doing an upgrade I end up with a screen that does not sync. What I mean is that the screen displays a large number if diagonal stripes. ..
              I think I know what your referring to. Is the screen then unreadable after seeing the "diagonal stripes"? If so, what you can do is add nomodeset to the end of the linux boot to see if this clears the issue. My nvidia only needs this done once. Afterwards it boot find using nouveau.
              Boot Info Script

Comment

I agree,oshunluvr. I am going to start looking. I can install a system and after a short time of doing things suddenly something weird and unlike other things that have been happening appears.

Those of you who are following this thread jump in with your suggestions for a new machine! I will appreciate the info.

Thanks, George Dvorak

Comment

Working...
                X