X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black screen every 10 mins

Hi there,

Just started using kubuntu and enjoying it so far. Total new experience. So I am a total noob and this is my first question here. I have googled for an answer and see it is a common question but I haven't found the answer. I am watching a dvd on VLC and every 10 mins the screen goes black even though screensaver and power management are set to not work. Also the screensaver is disabled in VL. I read somewhere that by default the screensaver is set to come on every 10 mins under the root user. How do I get into the root user to turn the screensaver off?

I haven't heard about the root bit.

There is this thread: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...urns-Itself-On

You can also go into power management in System Settings and enable "Screen Energey Saving", but set it to some high value. That, apparently, tells dpms to back off and let KDE handle screen blanking.

Comment

I have a feeling this is due to a bug that occurs when both screen power management and screensavers are disabled.

Try this - keep the screen power management disabled, but enable the blank-screen screensaver, with a very long delay setting (say, 3 hours). That's how I have mine set up, and it seems to do the trick.
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

There is no "root" user in (K)Ubuntu. per se, so going into that will not stop this.

What specific things settings have you set, and where?
        It might be a hardware or driver specific bug, so this info will help us get on the right track

Comment

Sounds like the DPMS turns itself on thing.
          http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...urns-Itself-On

Comment

Hi there,

Thanks for the help. I will keep searching for the thread I mentioned regarding going into root and turning something off there and get back to you. In the meantime I will follow advice in #2 & #3 as I am not sure about DPMS. The only settings that I think might have anything to do with it are regarding the screensaver and power management which are unchecked so shouldn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles Collins View Post
              Hi there,

Thanks for the help. I will keep searching for the thread I mentioned regarding going into root and turning something off there and get back to you. In the meantime I will follow advice in #2 & #3 as I am not sure about DPMS. The only settings that I think might have anything to do with it are regarding the screensaver and power management which are unchecked so shouldn't work.
              This sounds exactly like the dpms issue. Next time your screen blanks, open a terminal and type:
              Code:
              xset -dpms
              Let the computer sit for a while to see if it happens again.

Comment

Will do, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X