This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DPMS Turns Itself On

A while back I posted this thread in the Maverick forums: http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...ss-of-settings

The solution was to disable DPMS, and that works just as expected. However, since upgrading to Precise, I've found that DPMS keeps turning itself on, even without me logging out or restarting KDE or xorg.

I use xset to disable DPMS, and it works for a while. I don't know when it turns back on, but it eventually does. Is this a bug? How can I disable it permanently? I don't have a Monitor section in my xorg.conf. I'm not sure where the Xsession or rc.local files are, and I don't understand how adding the xset command to ~/.bashrc would help. (I'm sure it does, I just don't get why.)

With the update yesterday (or the day before?) of xsettings-kde my display began blanking after a few seconds.

xset dpms 0 0 0

stopped the blanking. I put that command into ~/.bash_profile
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      With the update yesterday (or the day before?) of xsettings-kde my display began blanking after a few seconds.

xset dpms 0 0 0

.bash_profile? Or did you mean .profile? I have no .bash_profile anywhere on my system, but do have a .profile in my users home directory.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post

xset dpms 0 0 0

I think the update had to have been a couple days ago. Using xset -dpms isn't effective anymore. I hope your method works.

But like Snowhog, I don't have a ~/.bash_profile file. I do have ~/.profile, though.

Comment

Well, as it turns out, even though "xset dpms 0 0 0" works, the setting can and is undone by unknown factors. I can have blankless periods lasting for as long as I normally use my system. But, if I leave to go do a "honey do", when I come back the monitor is blank. After that it blanks after a few seconds of inactivity.

So, I started casting about and wondered if the i915 driver had a parameter, and it did:

Code:
          parm:           modeset:Use kernel modesetting [KMS] (0=DRM_I915_KMS from .config, 1=on, -1=force vga console preference [default]) (int)
          parm:           fbpercrtc:int
          parm:           panel_ignore_lid:Override lid status (0=autodetect [default], 1=lid open, -1=lid closed) (int)
          parm:           [COLOR=#ff0000]powersave[/COLOR]:Enable powersavings, fbc, downclocking, etc. (default: true) (int)
          parm:           semaphores:Use semaphores for inter-ring sync (default: -1 (use per-chip defaults)) (int)
          parm:           i915_enable_rc6:Enable power-saving render C-state 6 (default: -1 (use per-chip default) (int)
          parm:           i915_enable_fbc:Enable frame buffer compression for power savings (default: -1 (use per-chip default)) (int)
          parm:           lvds_downclock:Use panel (LVDS/eDP) downclocking for power savings (default: false) (int)
          parm:           lvds_use_ssc:Use Spread Spectrum Clock with panels [LVDS/eDP] (default: auto from VBT) (int)
          parm:           vbt_sdvo_panel_type:Override selection of SDVO panel mode in the VBT (default: auto) (int)
          parm:           reset:Attempt GPU resets (default: true) (bool)
          parm:           enable_hangcheck:Periodically check GPU activity for detecting hangs. WARNING: Disabling this can cause system wide hangs. (default: true) (bool)
          I used kdesudo kwrite in a Konsole to create a text file that contained
          options i915 powersave=0
          and saved it as i915.conf under /etc/modprobe.d/

I've been running about 30 minutes. So far no blanking.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            .bash_profile? Or did you mean .profile? I have no .bash_profile anywhere on my system, but do have a .profile in my users home directory.
            ~/.bash_profile

Its contents get executed only during a login. In this situation "xset dpms 0 0 0" gets executed only during the initial login.

It isn't installed by default on Kubuntu, but it is on other distros that I've used. I took advantage of it for this dpms problem.

This explains the difference: http://hacktux.com/bash/bashrc/bash_profile
            Last edited by GreyGeek; May 26, 2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Four hours later and no blanking.

Comment

That previous post was made at 7:27PM. I continued using Kubuntu until nearly midnight without a blanking episode. Today (Sunday) I booted up at 8pm and at around 10pm I had a blanking episode, so my i915 powersave setting didn't work.

I opened a Konsole and set
                xset dpms 0 0 0
                xset -dpms

and left the Konsole open. I had noticed before that when I made those settings and closed the Konsole it wasn't long before the blanking began. So now I am leaving the Konsole open but minimized. So far, since 8pm. I haven't had a blanking episode.

Jonathan, a KDE dev, thinks the issue is a xscreensaver bug. In checking the man pages for the xscreensaver-* binaries I noticed a reference to ~/.xscreensaver, which is not in my home directory. I used "touch ~/.xscreensaver" to create it. I will watch it to see if it is used.

So, the blanking bug appears to be on KDE 4.8.3 from the Ubuntu Launchpad PPA.

Comment

Last night I replaced xsettings-kde from the launchpad PPA of KDE 4.8.3 with the version that was installed with Precise and KDE 4.8.2.

I booted up this morning and checked dpms. It was disabled.
                  DPMS (Energy Star):
                  Standby: 600 Suspend: 600 Off: 600
                  DPMS is Disabled
                  Since I had removed my kernel mod powersaver setting, and the mods to ~/.bash_profile, I do not know where the setting is that turned it off. But, so far, after an hour and a half, I have not had a blanking episode.
                  Last edited by GreyGeek; May 28, 2012, 05:38 AM.

Comment

It is now 9:20AM. I began using this computer at 5AM. When I turned it on and checked the settings with xset the dpms was disabled. About 8AM I checked again and it was enabled!! So, the old xsettings-kde isn't the cure. I reinstalled the upgrade.

Jonathan thought the problem was in the xscreensaver, or an app that is activating it. That app could be the Power Management.
                    Using xset I have made the following settings:
                    Screen Saver: prefer blanking: no allow exposures: no
                    timeout: 0 cycle: 600
                    Colors:
                    default colormap: 0x20 BlackPixel: 0 WhitePixel: 16777215
                    Font Path:
                    /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,built-ins
                    DPMS (Energy Star):
                    Standby: 0 Suspend: 0 Off: 0
                    DPMS is Disabled
                    Now I am going to play around and see if I can find the culprit.

Comment

I wouldnt be surprised if it was Power Management. I gave up on that program working months ago....

Comment

Ok guys timely thread here. Check this out: I started using my computer as a TV (streaming video content full-screen) since I upgraded my data plan and got a reasonably large LCD monitor. I was having this issue where the monitor would go to hibernate after around 10 minutes, whereby I would have to hiy a key to get it back on. This was really irritating! Like others, I went and turned off any and all power saving modes in system settings and also the "Dim Display" and "Screen Energy Saving" check boxes were inactivated. I also checked the monitor settings via the monitor's menu and made sure all power-save functions were off. However the issue persisted....

After struggling with this for weeks, I think I found a work-around. What I did was go back to those two prior-mentioned settings in my "Energy Saving Settings" section of "System Settings" and went ahead and checked (activated) them. However I changed the time values to 60 minutes from their default, which I think was 10 IIRC. Since then, I have not had my monitor shut off. Of course, at some point during an hour I'll likely hit a key or move my mouse thereby re-setting the timer, but it's great to know I can watch a video for up to an hour without my monitor shutting off.

This of course is less than ideal: Kubuntu should be respecting the fact that I previously had those features turned off. But turning them on and settng a variable seems to be the only workaround that I have found. Maybe these findings can help a dev furthur track down the root cause.
                        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                        K*Digest Blog
                        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                          Ok guys timely thread here. Check this out: I started using my computer as a TV (streaming video content full-screen) since I upgraded my data plan and got a reasonably large LCD monitor. I was having this issue where the monitor would go to hibernate after around 10 minutes, whereby I would have to hiy a key to get it back on. This was really irritating! Like others, I went and turned off any and all power saving modes in system settings and also the "Dim Display" and "Screen Energy Saving" check boxes were inactivated. I also checked the monitor settings via the monitor's menu and made sure all power-save functions were off. However the issue persisted....

After struggling with this for weeks, I think I found a work-around. What I did was go back to those two prior-mentioned settings in my "Energy Saving Settings" section of "System Settings" and went ahead and checked (activated) them. However I changed the time values to 60 minutes from their default, which I think was 10 IIRC. Since then, I have not had my monitor shut off. Of course, at some point during an hour I'll likely hit a key or move my mouse thereby re-setting the timer, but it's great to know I can watch a video for up to an hour without my monitor shutting off.

This of course is less than ideal: Kubuntu should be respecting the fact that I previously had those features turned off. But turning them on and settng a variable seems to be the only workaround that I have found. Maybe these findings can help a dev furthur track down the root cause.
                          I think you are on to something, dequire.

Screen Saver "timeout" set to zero is, I suspect, supposed to deactivate it. But, it's been zero when blanking occurred so I don't know what it is supposed to do.

Something, and I have no clue what, turned on DPMS and at the same time set the dpms flags you see below in "standby", "Suspend" and "off".
                          Screen Saver: prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
                          timeout: 0 cycle: 600
                          Colors:
                          default colormap: 0x20 BlackPixel: 0 WhitePixel: 16777215
                          Font Path:
                          /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,built-ins
                          DPMS (Energy Star):
                          Standby: 32547 Suspend: 48820 Off: 65094
                          DPMS is Enabled
                          Monitor is On
                          But, since that change occurred my display has not blanked. It seems to me that one could set those flags using

xset dpms 32547 48820 65094

Comment

I have a similar problem which may be related and which started when I upgraded to Precise. Everything is OK until I perform a software update. Afterwards the screen blanks within a minute. When I check I find that dpms is enabled although it was disabled before. The solution is simply kset -dpms then everything is OK until the next update. Rebooting also clears it but it's annoying and I would like to find the cause. The last time I did an update, I monitored the dpms status. It stayed off until I was prompted to enter the administrator password. As soon as I pressed enter dpms was enabled. So for some reason entering the administrator password during a software update enables dpms. KDE version 4.8.3 Any ideas?

Comment

I'm having this same problem. Nothing I try seems to work. I turn DPMS off, but then something turns it back on again later, and I don't know what's doing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X