This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Libgcal not being maintained?

Well, looks like I might have found the reason why Akonadai won't sync Google Calendars:

Apparently, from this thread libgcal is not being maintained.

If that is correct then I see no reason to continue fiddling with Akonadai or with Kontact.

At least one moderator here at the forum has said in the past that there was/is consideration of just dropping Kontact and going with Thunderbird.

If there are powers that be, like maybe Darkwing that can confirm or explain something maybe I'll change my mind on it.

http://code.google.com/p/libgcal/issues/detail?id=74

BTW I would NOT recommend going with Evolution because, apparently, there is a bug in Network Manager that will not allow it to sync over wireless and that is why I have not been able to get it to sync.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/.../msg00831.html

woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 24, 2012, 12:37 AM.
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

I don't think the current Google calendar and contact Akonadi resources (in 'kdepim-runtime') use libgcal, even though the legacy resources (in 'akonadi-kde-resource-googledata') do.

At least one moderator here at the forum has said in the past that there was/is consideration of just dropping Kontact and going with Thunderbird.
    I don't see that happening for a handful of reasons, one of which is that upstream mozilla has pretty much stopped development of thunderbird:
    http://techcrunch.com/2012/07/06/so-...r-thunderbird/

Comment

Bad luck. I've never really had issues with akonadi and kontact except sometimes ownCloud kicks up a warning.

"akonadi-kde-resource-googledata" with "libgcal0" seems to function perfectly here. Both contacts and calendar with bidirectional sync (contacts sometimes take a little while.) I know that a few people have had problems with this, but you can use CalDav with Dav Groupware resource as a way to access your calender and something similar for your contacts.

I don't know of another email client that has close to the features of kmail and the kontact suite as a whole. Best of luck getting it to work.

Comment

Kdepim 4.9 is supposed to have google syncing built in. I do not think it is in Kubuntu backports version though.

I use akonadigoogle from the ppa https://code.launchpad.net/~benoitg/...digoogle-daily

Shown in the Kontact "how to". http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...k-with-Kontact

It works really well for me.

This chap seems to be developing all Google Kontact stuff, well worth reading his blog if you've got 10mins,
        http://www.progdan.cz/category/akonadi-google/

Dave
        Using Kubuntu 17.10 64Bit

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the comments:

For akonadi-kde-resource-googledata I have: 1.2.0-1

For libgcal0 I have: 0.9.6-3build1

if you folks could check your versions that might have some pertinance.

Kubicle, okaaay so they have dropped, or folded in Sunbird, now Thunderbird? What next? lol

dmeyer, I've fiddled with CalDav, but, it seemed somewhat beyond my limited capabilities, do you use it with your Android phone syncying with Google and Akonadi.

Batty .......ummmm I checked my KDEPim and guess what.....everything BUT KDEPim is installed..... hmmmm lol and what is installed is 4:4.9.4-OubuntuO.2 hmmmmm

thanks for the heads up on the article!

woodsmoke
          Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 24, 2012, 10:13 AM.
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Please read my immediately prior post!

Okaaay.....one probably ought to ask just exactly WHY KDEPim was not installed on my install, because I just do the stock install, and almost never add anything from off the farm, as it were.

I, ummmmmm installed KDEpim from Synaptic, deleted the present calendar, added a new calendar and the google calendar stuff IMMEDIATELY appeared.

So.... it is fixed but.....just WHY was the particluar item: KDEpim not installed when all of the rest of the KDEpim stuff was installed?

Inquiring minds want to know! lol

woodbewilderedsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
              So.... it is fixed but.....just WHY was the particluar item: KDEpim not installed when all of the rest of the KDEpim stuff was installed?
              'kdepim' is a metapackage. It provides no functionality on it's own, it just depends on other packages...in this case all kdepim applications (and provides a convenient way to install them all). The reason why it's not installed is that not all kdepim applications are a part of kubuntu default installation (blogilo seems to be one that isn't included in kubuntu default install – at least not on quantal – but is a dependency for 'kdepim').

Comment

Thanks kubicle

A furthering set of notes.

After installing KDEpim, Kontact, did indeed, display the calendar items from Google.

I then added a recurring item on the Google calendar. Akonadi was then stuck on "syncing at 100%" so in deleted that calendar and added another. Got nothing at all from Kontact.

I then removed the recurring item from Google calendar and got nothing on Kontact, but Akonadi was "green" and running not syncing.

I then added a new item at Google calendar and it appeared on Kontact calendar(the google one, not personal btw) but none of the other items that are in Google Calendar and on the android phone appear.

So, apparently, the cut to the chase in this particular instance might be:

a) Installing KDEpim, in this case, immediately started Kontact syncing with Google Calendar for non-recurring items.
                b) adding a recurring item then totally messes things up for previously added items, in that they do not display.
                c) removing the recurring items allows NEW but not old singular items to display in Kontact.

As an aside, I tried sudo apt-get -s dist-upgrade to see if anything new in the pipeline would install and got 0/0/0 so.

Unless I maybe try a ppa for the latest KDEpim/Kontact, looks as if things are at least partially functional for now.

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

woodsmoke, Yeah you just have one of those crap experiences. This happens to people ocassionally but it usually gets fixed in the next release (then its broken for somebody else.) When it works its amazing and kontact is unbeatable. I use CalDav with my S2, Tab 10.1 and laptop, its painless. I think a lot of things are being pulled into mainline kontact with 4.9 and/or 4.10 but as somebody pointed out its not in the backports ppa version as far as I know.

libgcal0.9.6-3build1
                  kontact 4:4.9.0-0

Comment

Oh and recurring events works for me too.

Comment

well, I just installed quirky quiddich so this is not a non-issue for moi! lol

woodsmoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                      X