This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Time Windows Users Experience with finagly linux thingy

Well, as the title explains I have used windows for most of my life, heck I can remember how impressed I was with the upgrade for 3.1 to Win95!

Thought about toying with Linux a few times but was put off but the technicalities involved, and plus I "knew" windows. Well, a suite of viruses and those wonderful holes that I "knew" all about but hoped wouldn't affect me put paid to that.

So, moving onto linux, and what a decision that was. A life time of being spoon-fed and told that this is good falls away hard, the sheer variety is almost overwhelming! Well, Kubuntu did exactly what it meant to, gently removed the blinkers and led me slowly out into the bright, frightening daylight of a world of choice.

Now I'm wondering what took me so long.

1)Live CD tryout.

Well, firstly, it works. Cleanly, and let me do everything I wanted to, everything I had come to expect from a computer, so, good! A little strange on the interface but thats to be expected, still, clean enough and seamless enough to convince me to go for the full install.

2) Installation

Wait, something wrong here, right? Seriously, it cannot be that easy and quick. Even with a full format of the drive, it was done in no time - this is defenitely not what I have come to expect from an OS installation!

3) Initial boot up and log in

Well, that went well, the interface was painless, and the way it all works was easy to understand, now to start figuring around all of this new stuff.

4) Usage

Well, here came the first real trouble. Bug 0001 was simple, it's not windows. I categorised this as a user error, and set it to "resolvable with time". Other than that very pleasant, an interesting time trying to figure out how to do things in different ways, but the intuitive way it is all put together leads you gently on, great stuff. Konqueror is possibly the king of all applications, it does almost everything you could imagine, or need, serious Kudo's to the creators.

Configuration of everything was a dream, though the password prompts do seem a bit OTT, the whole way that is built into the system is part and parcel I suppose. Created a My documents folder in the home directory to feel more at home, then discovered that I didn't really need it!

5) Further Anticipations

A long way to go yet to get as hands on with this OS as I was with windows, and as knowledgeable as I'de like - but that comes with time, and the resources are phenomenal, if you don't like one source you can use another. Actually using the various programs and tools is fairly easy without any reading up, but it defenitly helps being able to get into the mindset(s) of the designer/creators.

6) Sumation

What took me so long? Looking forward to more, have already passed out three ISO's to friends and aquantainces, teling them to try it out.

A class operating system, an inspiring effort, a truly incredible experience to use and completely amazing when you consider who made it, and more importantly, why.

Well Done all, I look forward to using my first ever Linux system with pleasure.

Re: Long Time Windows Users Experience with finagly linux thingy

Hi, John, welcome to Kubuntu. Good to see you are having a great experience. I came over from (well you know) over a year ago and have never wanted to go back. As you said, different ways of doing things, but it's good to learn new things, especially when the outcome is being able to comfortably use Kubuntu/Linux.
    These forums are wonderful, too, very friendly and helpful. They have got me out of (self-inflicted) trouble many times.
    Cheers
    Lowey
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

Re: Long Time Windows Users Experience with finagly linux thingy

Hi, John, welcome to Kubuntu. I know what its like to have to deal with the windows obstacle course. I myself took the leap in November of last year. I started with Linspire the Windows of the Linux world. I found it to constricting and started looking around for another distro. I found Kubuntu, i dont recall exactly how but i did and i love it. It does take some time to get used too but once you do you ask yourself why on earth did i ever use that infernal thing called windows. Good luck in your journey into the amazing world of linux. and as lowey said these forums are very good and you will surely meet quite a few wizards who can pretty much help you out with just about anything that may be troubling you.

Comment

Working...
      X