This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: kubuntu - my review

Nowadays, you can do almost everything from the GUI, but it's often easier (and, ocasiionally only possible) to do some things from the Command Line. You can pick up using the command line by osmosis (e.g. start a konsole) and run the command "man <command>" for every command that you see someone recommend), but it's easier to learn from a book or a course.

You can download the Kubuntu package "rutebook", which will install a copy of the book "The Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition" by Paul Sheer into the directory /usr/share/doc/rutebook/html/. Aside from an irrational preference for Vi rather than Emacs (which Mark Shuttleworth shares), this is a very good book. Or you can buy the dead tree version of the Rute book, "Running Linux" by Welsh, Dallheimer and Kaufman (or some sub or superset, thereof), or "How Linux Works" by Brian Ward. Any of the three will repay your effort and start you on the road to gurudom.

Comment

Re: kubuntu - my review

I hope you have changed your mind about Kubuntu since you first posted...... I really like it. I am only a beginner, having just installed Kubuntu and PCLOS as a dual boot about 2 months ago.... trying them both to see which I like better....
      The thing I have found about Linux is that instead of just jumping in with no forethought, you should take LOTS of time to research the distros and try a few (dozen) live CD's to see what your hardware does..... I started researching about a year ago...
      THEN, accept the fact that you are going to have to learn the command line... but you can do that slowly as you need to do things. Kubuntu installed very easily for me and, aside from my nasty winmodem, everything else worked.
      Just 2 cents from a noob......

Comment

Working...
      X