This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mc not displaying block graphics correctly

Hi. I have a problem with mc not working properly on Debian 3.1r3.

From the command line mc works ok. From a Konsole shell in KDE the GUI is not rendered correctly. Here is a screen shot to demonstrate the problem.

Can anyone tell me what is happening, and what I need to do to fix it please?
    Attached Files

Re: mc not displaying block graphics correctly

As you might have noticed, this is a Kubuntu Forum not a Debian Forum. That said, if I wanted to run a Midnight Commander work-alike under Sarge KDE, I would actually run the Midnight Commader View Profile of Konqueror.

Comment

Thanks  for your reply askrieger.

Not quite sure what you mean about:

I would actually run the Midnight Commader View Profile of Konqueror.
      Is that something similar to:

$ kfmclient openProfile webbrowsing

??

Comment

s that something similar to:

$ kfmclient openProfile webbrowsing
        Indeed, substitute "Midnight Commander" for "webbrowsing". You may have to download the profile, though. Konqueror view profiles were discussed on a recent thread here, where recent is defined as "within the last 30 to 60 days:.

Comment

Thanks for that. I actually prefer mc from the konsole. I like all the functionality in the mc GUI, which does not seem to appear in Konquorer's view profile.

mc works OK under Kubuntu 6.10 in a konsole, so I guess it's something silly that is causing the rendering problem in Debian.

Update:

Got it working now thanks. There was a missing xfonts-konsole package. I followed the instructions in /usr/share/doc/konsole/README.Linux-font to the letter:

"To make the linux console font work you will need to install the xfonts-konsole package and make certain that fontconfig is configured
          to support bitmap fonts. You can install xfonts-konsole by running "apt-get install xfonts-konsole". To reconfigure fontconfig you must run "dpkg-reconfigure -plow fontconfig" and answer "Yes" to the question:
          "Enable bitmapped fonts by default?".

After doing this selecting the Linux font still fails, try logging out and relogin and/or running "fc-cache -f" as root to update the fontconfig font cache."

I ran "fc-cache -f" as root, shut down X, and then restarted X (with startx). mc worked OK after that!

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          X