X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MP3 2 OGG, Going Open Source...

Hello Everyone,
    Ever wanted to rebel against the man and go open source on your music collection?
    But, when you search for a hard to get song that you cany purchase anymore its always in MP3 format.
    Or you already have thousands of MP3's backed up from your 250+ CD collection that you do not want to spend weeks re-encodeding..
    Let me introduce "MP32OGG".
    Its a apt I have know about for quite sometime, but never used myself.
    I was always told that my MP3's would loose sound quality. Not so..
    Last night I set down and started testing the program out on a small directory of MP3's.
    After using the default settings MP32OGG made OGG copies of all my MP3s.
    I spot tested 90% of the songs, listening to the MP3 then the OGG of the same song.
    Each sounded perfectly the same without the use of any special settings.
    I simply used " mp32ogg /home/joey/mp3s/".
    All of the MP3's in the /mp3s directory were copied and converted.
    MP32OGG by default keeps the same quality of each song and doesnt delete the orignal file.
    It however can delete the oringal file if you specify it to, and also you can adjust the sound quality on the output OGGs from "1 -> 10" 1 being lowest quality, 10 being highest.
    This will still take some time to convert all my music (about 1 song per 45seconds on my system), but its much quicker then re-ripping/encode your entire collection again.
    MP32OGG can also be found in the repositories.
    Cheers,
    Joey

Re: MP3 2 OGG, Going Open Source...

Only thing that's bad about OGG is that iPods don't support it!

Only thing that's bad with FLAC makes files that are HUGE.

~ Patrick

Comment

Totally agree..
      Are there any players out that support Ogg?
      I dont know of any, but if there is I shure would like to know.

Comment

I think my iriver does. It's a 20 gig hard drive mp3 player. There are actually quite a few players that play ogg.

Comment

I recently just talked to someone over on the SuSE forums and he mentioned that he has a iAudio player that does play Ogg's. He mentioned he got his at amazon, but the one he showed me was on newegg.
          So it is starting to look promissing
          Cheers,
          Joey

Comment

A comprehensive list of portable ogg players can be found at
            http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/PortablePlayers

Comment

Thanks for the link. That is a pretty good list. It is missing a few models, like my iAudio X5. I also didn't see the Phatbox which is a pretty neat automobile HD system. I am pretty please with X5L. I am hoping that a full-featured version of Rockbox:

http://www.rockbox.org/

is available for it soon. The loss that occurs when converting from one lossy format to another may not be noticible when listening. It is probably minute. My stuff is -q6 ogg vorbis. They come out around 192k. That is about the right mix of quality versus storage space for me. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
              X