X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st post (well, almost :))

Hi forum!
    Just a quick hello from good, ol' Germany - I have installed KUbuntu on an IBM Thinkpad T23 a week ago and have just about everything from suspend-to-ram to dri for the SuperSavage working by now - so I'm turning to fine tuning now And I will have the one or other question for sure

Been running the one or other linux flavor here and there for the last three years, but this is my first serious attempt to take it to the desktop, in the long haul to replace my trusty iBook.

anyway, I think, I'll see some of you soon on irc, if I find the time. till then

Re: 1st post (well, almost )

Well, I have been subscribed to Linux Format for over a couple of years, and decided to take my main desktop to Linux in March with a Hoary preview release.

Upgraded to Breezy when the Kubuntu RC came out.

Never really got into IRC... That's Kopete isn't it? Which of all the messaging services do you use? Is any better than any other?
    Blog: Tasty Tidbits

Comment

They told me, irc was the granddaddy of all IM services - guess I'm not old enough to judge that anway, kopete? maybe, althought I am more the xchat kind of guy

Comment

I'm on IRC on Freenode as jpatrick @ #kubuntu, #kubuntu-es. (sometimes - I have school stuff todo (I try to come once a weekend))

Kopete's rather bucky for IRC, I just use plain but nice Konversation.

Comment

Thought I'd try this IRC thing. Freenode _thumper_, apparently thumper by itself is a bad nickname (dunno why).

Blog: Tasty Tidbits

Comment

IRC is nice

I'll try to get on tomorrow.

Comment

This is like I'm back in college in the middle 90's.

Though I'm sure I'll be found incorrect, I think IRC grew up as an implementation of a program I vaguely recall as "talk" on DEC VAXs. I think there was a Unix version (which perhaps predates the VAX version). It was so old that it was going out of style already in the early 90's when I started college. IRC and this new thing called "NCSA Mosaic" was taking over.

Ah, those were the days. We used to track the size of the internet by searching for the letter "a" on altavista. Obviously, it was pretty inaccurate since it was all just starting, but I remember when the number of hits went above 1000... I think that was around '92 or '93.

Of course, there weren't many browsers available - Mosaic was about it. (This was obviously before MS bought them!). We got X up and running on a Linux box (FreeBSD still being under suit so we didn't want to worry about that) which had, I think, kernel version 1.1 on it - we were risking instability by running a development kernel.

Sorry for my meanderings.

Comment

Working...
              X