This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learing Linux

Can anyone recommend a good online or print guide to learing Linux?

I need more than a reference, I need (want) to learn the nitty gritty details on all things Linux

Re: Learing Linux

All things Linux? That's a lot.

I would start by reading Linux Format magazine. It's available in Borders bookstores, and it's fabulous. Unlike most books that get published, the information tends to be up-to-date, the advice and tutorials practical, and the screenshots helpful.
    Linux is ready for the desktop--but whose desktop?<br />How to install software in Kubuntu

Comment

The first thing I would recommend would be to download the Kubuntu package "rutebook". This is a copy of the textbook "The Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition" by Paul Sheer. The book will be installed at /usr/share/doc/rutebook/html. You will need to activate the "multiverse" repository, if you haven't already. Just add the word "multiverse" after universe in the appropriate deb line of /etc/apt/sources.list

Alternatively, if you like dead trees, you can buy the rute book from Prentice Hall, "Running Linux" by Welsh, Dalheimer & Kauffman (plus or minus, I have an old edition) from O'Reilly, or "How Linux Works" by Brian Ward from No Starch Press. If you want to learn how to write software for Linux, I recommend "Understanding Unix/Linux Programming" by Bruce Molay from Prentice Hall. This will prepare you for the BIBLE, "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment" by W.R.Stevens from Addison Wesley. To understand the kernel (which IS Linux, the rest is GNU), you might want "The Linux Kernel Primer" by Rodriguez, Fischer & Smolski from Prentice Hall, or Understanding the Linux Kernel by (approximately) Bovet and Cesati from O'Reilly. If you read one book from each category, you will be well on your way to becoming a guru.

Comment

"Linux For dummies"

Taught me alot of good to know info.

Comment

One that I would not recommend is Linux in a Nutshell from O'Reilly. I found it nearly worthless for a newbie. It is not a bad reference for an experienced user, but I have rarely used it. I agree that Dummies is OK and so is Complete Idiots, but I would suggest that you leverage the free stuff mentioned above and hit the web topic by topic. Good luck.

Comment

A good online resource for linux guides is:
            http://www.tldp.org/guides.html
            (tldp stands for The Linux Documentation Project)

There are many (semi-regularly updated) guides for both beginners and advanced users

Comment

The Linux Reality podcast Is a good source for the absolute newbie. I would recommend listening to them from the first episode.

Comment

You might find this link from a previous post useful, its got a couple dozen classic lunix texts, ant two recently released Ubuntu books:

http://www.sirdaz.com/lin/

many are in zipped formats so you'll have to extract them using ark or Xarchiver...in addition, the two ubuntu books use the Kchm reader and not pdf....so run sudo apt-get install xchm and you'll have the reader for those two recent very specialized books.

Running Linux is among the best overall and tends to go a bit deeper than just setting up and running apps, showing whats under the hood and why

enjoy

Comment

Working...
                X