X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two computers for Linux: which one ?

Need to confirm old PC is better choice as Linux computer than laptop:

1) K-6 500 / 256MB RAM  ALI aladdin V chipset  Nvidia Riva TNT2 32MB, Soundblaster Audigy.  30GB HD & SONY combo drive / 14" generic CRT (now has Win ME only)

2) IBook G3 466SE Laptop  320MB / 8MB ATI RAGE AGP 800x600/  20GB with DVD-ROM. Airport (802.11b) wireless

Would be a 2nd PC, testing websites & video I create on PowerMac G5 (main PC).  K(X)ubuntu wouldn't work on laptop, using YellowDog (Mac-Fedora) but no wireless. Dual-boots OSX, but in 1024x768, needs 2-3 restarts to settle into 800x600. (now, before YDL iBook perfect)

Laptop wired to ethernet and trouble with OSX has essentially left me w/o a "portable" laptop.  I also like that this & ubuntu board seem very active.  YDL is pretty empty.  Is my old K-6 500 box good enough for this light duty ?

thanks

Kubuntu 9.04 - Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz DP&nbsp; / 3.0GB RAM / 160GB HD / 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 XT <br /><br />Debian 5.03 - iMac G3 400 MHz / 512MB RAM / 40 GB HD / 8MB ATI Rage Pro 128 Pro<br /><br />Mac OS X 10.4.11 - Powerbook G3 400 MHz / 512MB / 40GB HD / 8MB ATI Rage Pro 128

Re: Two computers for Linux: which one ?

There fairly equal.

With the first one, it would run fairly good at 24-bit @ 800x600>, However the 256MB RAM will make it slow at loading.

For the second it would run smoothly at 16-bit @ 800x600>, And with the extra amount of RAM should handle programs better compared to the first.

So its more of a do you want better resolution & bit-depth or do you prefer speed?

Comment

Put Kubuntu on K-6 box.  iBook will be OS X again, need the wireless & portability.

Screen @ 1024x768 because of web needs.  Does this affect video playback, since I can actually watch DVDs w/ 8MB on laptop in OS X ?

Would RAM help it start up faster or is does it just help programs ?  Web / e-mail, DVD / Divx / WMV / MP3 testing only.

Now I just need Kubuntu to find my NIC.  At least with the box, I can swap it out if I need too.  Otherwise I really like it on my PC. 
      Kubuntu 9.04 - Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz DP&nbsp; / 3.0GB RAM / 160GB HD / 128MB ATI Radeon 9600 XT <br /><br />Debian 5.03 - iMac G3 400 MHz / 512MB RAM / 40 GB HD / 8MB ATI Rage Pro 128 Pro<br /><br />Mac OS X 10.4.11 - Powerbook G3 400 MHz / 512MB / 40GB HD / 8MB ATI Rage Pro 128

Comment

Hi,

I would believe K2 should be OK. I was running with 128MB of memoryon K2-450 but older version of Kubuntu. I have loaded the latest version on an old laptop, 550MHz Celeron with 256MB (ie less powerful that the K2-500) and I can web surf OK, using Thunderbird; e-mail OK, but I am currently having problems with MP3 generation and CD player getting the CDDB information. This could be a problem with setting up the system. I would believe that the system would but capable of Video playback but I have not tried on this system, I will trying but using VLC not the standard players.

Memory always helps especially when multitasking.

What type of NIC wireless or wired?
        ISA , PCI?

Comment

Re: Two computers for Linux: which one ? / NIC prob

Thanks for the information Jamesr.

K-6 box still needs work.  Found 64MB stick in a parts box, RAM now up to 320MB ! 
          Kubuntu still not seeing NIC. Like if not physically in the slot. (3COM 3C509B Etherlink ISA) NIC worked OK under Win ME.

Read articles about 3COM card.  Several point to problem with need to turn off PnP on the card. I did this, but card still does not show up in hardware.  Maybe I did this part wrong ? (see link for info I used)  What info do you need ?

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Ethernet-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.9
          ___

BTW, I always had trouble ripping CDs under Win ME on K-6 500 when it was my main PC.  I would get "clicking sound" on the finished MP3s.  Is this what you mean ? 

Replaced it with a 733 G4 & OS X and then I could listen to music & rip at same time.  It seemed like magic 

Comment

Hi,

I am on the road currently so I cannot reply directly about your NIC. I have a couple of older systems with those NICs and I have had, to always set them up manually.
            Code:
            sudo modprobe xxxx
            where I do not know what is xxxx until I get home and get my notes. Then
            Code:
            sudo dhclient
            to setup the NIC If this works then it is just a matter of editting a couple of files. Having wetted your appetite I am afraid you have to wait until I get home.

Comment

Hi Natgab,

You may not have to wait, if you go to the Ubuntu Forums and search on the breezy badger for that NIC and my name you should be able to see several of my replies to people with the same problem.

Comment

Working...
              X