This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be able to play soon!

Very soon, like 1-2 weeks, I will be getting my laptop back (what has it been now? 2 months? I should be entitled a free repair!), or be getting a new laptop altogether (from the repairers, if you could call them that). So, hope you hadn't missed me too much, and I will be able to full time here soon!

Also, I have some random questions for anyone who would like to answer:

1) is it possible to build a laptop by yourself without soldering stuff? I kinda-sorta know how to build a computer, but I know a guy who builds computers, but I just don't wanna ask stupid questions.

2) can I upgrade an older laptop? How can I take the case off? I'll post pictures (my camera doesn't have focus though :P) so maybe someone could tell me how to open it.

3) If I get a new laptop, I may ask for a mac (and pay them the difference), since I have officially fell in love with them from using them at school and at friends houses (Final Cut rapes...). Can the intel macs run Ubuntu? Which version do I use? x86 I would assume, am I right?
    <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Re: I will be able to play soon!

1) It's quite a bit more difficult to home-build a laptop than a desktop because of the MUCH more confined space. Also, I'm not sure that it's even possible to build a desktop without soldering cables to connectors. I might be wrong there because I haven't built my own hardware in years.

2) I'd think that the main obstacles to upgrading an older laptop would be the CPU socket restricting you to older CPUs and the inefficient heat dissipation in laptops. (When the top of your desk turns brown, you have to turn off the laptop.) You also might run into problems with memory, depending on the age of the laptop.

3) If Intel mac laptops use core duo processors, you probably want to run a 686 kernel. Preferably with built in SMP. I think (K)Ubuntu compiles SMP into all their 686 kernels.

Comment

1) There is no soldering in building a desktop. It is pretty much plug and play, just making sure you order the right parts. As for building a laptop, you would be better off buying one from the store. Laptops are so small and have so many parts. It would be tedious. I just saw a laptop at Best Buy for $599.99 and it had an AMD Turion CPU with 100 GB HD and 1 GB of RAM. For $849.99 there was a dual core Turion with 2 GB of RAM and 160 GB HD. It's hard to beat the prices out there today.

Comment

By the way, if you get a Mac, I would wait until they come out with the Intel Core 2 Duo Processors. It is only a matter of time before they put them in their laptops.

Comment

I'M BAAAACK!!!

I got my original Laptop back (no Mac, but this is just as good!), plus $350 because they took so long (and erased my HDD when it was a specific order for them NOT to)

I'm going to update to Edgy right now, and I'll be able to play around on the forums very soon.

XGL/Beryl is looking sweet.
          <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

Working...
          X