This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My network speeds

So, I installed LibreSpeedTest on my DS218+. Here is a test with my phone on wifi about 6 feet away from my Linksys Velop router

...and now on the other end of the house through a powerline adapter
    Last edited by jpenguin; Jul 24, 2021, 07:22 PM.
    Registered Linux User 545823

You certainly get excellent speed and I was tempted to see what my system gave with Laptops. You didn't mention what network you were connected to as this has a great impact on the speed you measure.

I only have Laptops, one is a HP Spectre x360 15-ch004ng, which I use most of the time. The other Laptop is in the garage, and is an ASUS R501VM Core i7 3610QM which is 10 years old. All have Kubuntu 21.10 installed and the following tests use this system. For my speed test, I use http://iinet.speedtestcustom.com/ which does the test between my home in Adelaide, South Australia and Perth in Western Australia.

I fortunately have a fiber connection to my house which is connected to a Fritz!Box 7490 router. This provides both Ethernet and WiFi to my computers and mobiles. The plan that I am on is a NBN FTTP Gold Unlimited and has a typical evening speed of 50 Mbps. My ISP has increased speed to tempt uses to have 1000Mps connection!

I always use an Ethernet connection to my router and I get:
    Ping 2 ms
    Download 262.1 Mbps
    Upload 23.1 Mbps

I also use a Powerline Adapter to connect to the ASUS and for this connection I get:
    Ping 4ms
    Download 118 Mbps
    Upload 20.8 Mbps

The other connections to the HP Laptop using the router's WiFi gives me:
    Ping 35ms
    Download 85.6 Mbps
    Upload 19.8 Mbps

When I travel and there is no WiFi, I revert to using USB Tethering with my modile which is on the 4G network. In this case I get:
    Ping 5ms
    Download 44.0 Mbps
    Upload 20.7 Mbps

So the above speeds show why I rely on my Ethernet connection. It also shows the primary importance of the ISP network you are connected to.

Comment

My wifi chip is: AR9462 Wireless Network Adapter

The AR9462 delivers data rates of 300 Mbps and TCP throughput of more than 200 Mbps.

I have a symmetrical 300 Mbps fiber optic connection that averages between 160-170 Mbps both up and down, which is as much as 85% efficiency. Considering that I was paying as much for a 40 Mbps connection with my previous ISP having 170 Mbps is sweet.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

One wonders...
        I just left a house where I had an 800 Mbps fiber.
        7-year-old laptop, with a Intel Wireless 7260 wifi chip, got some 600`out of it.
        I'm presently living in a caravan and using mobile hotspot for internet, gives me some 30 Mbps when in a good mood. Pretty bad reception here.
        It's way more than I need. I have instant access to just about anything, Netflix, Youtube and the like are glitchless, even system updates don't really take that long.

One wonders what all the speed thing is about really. Once you have 10 Mbps, and ping times are decent, do you really need more?
        Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Jul 25, 2021, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
          One wonders... >>>>>

One wonders what all the speed thing is about really. Once you have 10 Mbps, and ping times are decent, do you really need more?
          One house, four adults, six laptops, two desktop gaming rigs, four late model phones, two televisions . . . Yes, I do REALLY need more.
          If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

You are getting excellent speed from your powerline ethernet. I just installed TP-Link AV1000 units and from my gigabit router I get 27 Gb/s at the other end. I added an AV600 unit in another room and got 21 Gb/s. Small house, less than 1200 sq/ft, trying to eliminate wifi. Not really happy with the performance but I can stream video without glitches.
            -=Ken=-
            "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
            DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I get a drop to 80 Mbit/s from 100 Mbit/s using TP-link powerline adapters, with several on the wiring in a 65 year-old stand-alone house. For me, that drop is an acceptable price to pay for the flexibility, which has been really useful occasionally. (There's walls and lots of appliances and stuff between this computer and the router making 5 GHz wifi not good.)
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialEd View Post
                One house, four adults, six laptops, two desktop gaming rigs, four late model phones, two televisions . . . Yes, I do REALLY need more.
                Sounds like my house! When I started working from home in March 2020, and added the extra work laptop to the wifi mix, it soon became obvious that DSL had to die. I got a 500mbs connection and computing life has been good, for all of us.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

My first post was just my LAN speeds. On my phone about a room away from my router I get about 68down/10up testing with servers in San Jose https://i.speedof.me/210726171501-629
                  I live at the very top of California
                  Last edited by jpenguin; Jul 26, 2021, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jpenguin View Post
                    I live at the very top of California
                    I didn't know there were any residences on the peak of Mount Whitney.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

"Needing more" is relative. My previous ISP advertized 40Mbps but the whole story is that the up link was only 3Mbps, which slows two way communication considerably. It also doesn't indicate how much compression & decompression is used on copper wires, which is required to achieve that "40Mbps" speed. When I plotted the download of a file the wave looked like a series of shark fins in a line. A buildup to around 40, followed by an instant drop to 0, followed by a slow buildup to 40 again. Average it out and one would be lucky to get 20Mbps down with 3Mbps up. IOW, my previous ISP's copper connection was a LOT slower than advertised.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@snowhog
                        LOL

About 550 miles south of me, although I have family on Mount Hamilton "northern end of Cali" would've been more accurate XD
                        96097 to be exact
                        Last edited by jpenguin; Jul 26, 2021, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X