This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocky Linux 8.4 released

When RH dumped CentOS it made a lot of people and businesses mad. Immediately a group of over 100 programmers began working on a "drop in" replacement for CentOS
    Today it was released:
    https://forums.rockylinux.org/t/rock...lable-now/3015

It has been downloaded around 40,000 times since its release.

Ive downloaded the minimal version (1.8GB) and I'm going to install it in a VM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Just don't install any IvanDrago packages or you'll have a fight on your hands.
    I crack me up!!
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

@Snowhog, Can you explain your comment, please? I've not used RHEL for a Long, Long time and I don't follow what happened. I've never used CentOS. Thanks.
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.9.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Rocky............. from Philly

Comment

Well, installing the minimal (1.8GB) version of Rocky 8.4 gave me a trip through time back to 1998. That's when I installed RH 5.0 for the first time and was presented with a console login screen to two accounts, mine and root's. I logged into mine and noticed that I had no Internet connection. Rocky didn't recognize the VM NAT address and reported that I did not have an ethernet connection. I hadn't run RPM since SuSE was purchased by Novell in 2004 and immediately plead gulity by proxy as "Linux" to stealing MS IP..

I could sudo or su and login to root because during the setup one has to establish a password for the root account.

Finding no joy in manually crafting an internet connection through my Kubuntu host, and not willing to relearn RPM again, I quit the VM and deleted Rocky. Thanks for the memories, though.

Server admins, I suspect, will have a field day with Rocky and another chance to carry their nads around in a wheel barrow for all to admire.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

The feeling when you get it up and running?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1383484786-Rocky-runs-up-the-stairs-.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	645175

Comment

But, what it looks like during the attempt to get it installed:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	E1C0D3CD-86BD-4D35-B6E2-D2277E8A8407.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	645176
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Not too enchanted by RPM based distros. Then I looked at the install instructions on their site, and after reading that discombobulated mess ...

Not happening here.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                  Not too enchanted by RPM based distros. Then I looked at the install instructions on their site, and after reading that discombobulated mess ...

Not happening here.
                  I imagine that the Redhat Package Manager has improved considerable since I used it with SuSE 5.3 and 6.4, and with KNOPPIX, Mandrake/Mandriva, Kannotix and some others. It was while running KNOPPIX that I had a major incident with RPM. I saw a package I wanted to install, so I downloaded it from RPM BONE, a sort of public repository. I began the install and then turned my attention to something else. A popup asked if I wanted to continue with the install and without giving it much thought or attention I clicked "yes". 300 packages began downloading while hundreds were being deleted. I watched in horror, realizing it was too late to hit Ctl+C. After the massive upgrade I had to reboot. When my desktop came back up it was running the latest glorious version of KDE, IIRC version 3.2.

"Slick!", I thought. I used my new desktop for several days, enjoying the improvements. Then, I noticed another package which I wanted to install. After the process started I noticed that it was taking my KDE back to the previous version! After the process completedd I rebooted .... into the BSOD. My system was hosed, trashed, destroyed, <insert doom and gloom words here>.

I decided to look around for another distro besides KNOPPIX. I saw one called LibertyNet or LibraNet, I don't remember its exact name, but it was based on dpkg and promised freedom from Windows. It was an excellent distro but it was also a one man show. He died of cancer and that distro was left hanging in the winds of adversity. However, the dpkg system was outstanding and very reliable when compared to RPM. Various dpkg based distros led me to Kubuntu in Jan of 2009. I've been with Kubuntu six years longer than I've been with SuSE, which was six years.

Comment

Working...
                  X