X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope you are not using one of these 30M Dell's

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...n-pcs-at-risk/

Will running Linux protect you from a BIOS hack? I don't know, but I doubt it.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...n-pcs-at-risk/

Will running Linux protect you from a BIOS hack? I don't know, but I doubt it.
    GG's link now has this comment:
    Is Linux impacted or not? What models of Dells are impacted?

The days of ignoring Linux should be over. It comes preinstalled on some Dells.

I received two different BIOS updates on my Linux-installed Dell recently. Does that cover it?
    Both my Dells had Ubuntu pre-installed. Both now have Kubuntu. The Ubuntu installed by Dell has been removed on one laptop by giving the whole disc to Kubuntu and on the other laptop, I just don't boot into Ubuntu provided by Dell. I haven't knowingly updated the BIOS on either machine and I don't even know the current BIOS versions
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Just like everything else, keep your system updated. It would help if the company would be more forthcoming about risks and weaknesses.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

I don't do BIOS updates, unless they are related to security or I'm having troubles. I updated once and hosed my system, which explains my reluctance to do so again. I still remember the response I got from someone, "why did you do the update if you weren't having problems?"

Comment

I don't mind updating the firmware on my wifi's with DD-WRT because I buy only wifi's that the DD-WRT devs recommend.

I wish I could update my Acer Aspire V3-771G BIOS with coreboot but it is 10 years old and even Acer doesn't support it any more.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred47 View Post
            I don't do BIOS updates, unless they are related to security or I'm having troubles. I updated once and hosed my system, which explains my reluctance to do so again. I still remember the response I got from someone, "why did you do the update if you weren't having problems?"
            Most of the bios updates I have seen on my systems the past couple of years have been specifically for security fixes. Probably Spectre and Meltdown related on my last laptop. Seemed to get updated every few months for a while there.
            Here are those from my most recent one:

Code:
            Summary of changes
            ==================
            General Information:

ALCN32WW(V2.09)

[Added]
            N/A

[Modified] 
            1.Enhancement to address security vulnerability CVE 2020-0570.
            2.Enhancement to address Security vulnerability CVE-2020-8672.
            3.Enhancement to address Security vulnerability CVE-2020-8752, CVE-2020-8753, CVE-2020-8745, CVE-2020-8750,
             CVE-2020-8757, CVE-2020-8756, CVE-2020-8760, CVE-2020-8744, CVE-2020-8751, CVE-2020-8754, CVE-2020-8761, 
            CVE-2020-8747, CVE-2020-8755, CVE-2020-8746, CVE-2020-8749, CVE-2020-8705, CVE-2020-12303, CVE-2020-12304, CVE-2020-12297.
            4.Enhancement to address Security vulnerability CVE-2020-8696, CVE-2020-8698, CVE-2020-8695, CVE-2020-8694
            5.Enhancement to address security vulnerability LEN-48100
            6.Enhancement to address Security vulnerability CVE-2020-10255

[Fixed] 
            N/A

[Embedded Controller]

Fixed: N/A

Modified:
              1.> Rename from V208B.

Add function: N/A
            Modern computers have more complex firmware (the term 'bios' is still used, but technically that is incorrect, as it is much more than just a 'Basic Input/Output System' now)
            Updating this seems to be more necessary than it used to be back in the day, where it used to be appropriate to skip updating if one did not have problems.

Of course we Linux users have to check this out ourselves, in Windows the OEMs often have an update checker for this. I randomly booted to Windows for some reason last month, and soon discovered my latest firmware update, which was marked 'Critical' ..... from last January lol!
            Last edited by claydoh; Jun 26, 2021, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X