Clear All

Systray

How I have my system tray.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tray.png
Views:	1
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	649724

"Documents" shows a quick preview of recent (in the sense, sorted by Modified) Documents.
    Now, the hidden Icons:

Name:	hicons.png
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	649725

I have the Updates one set to "never show". I use my own scripts for updates, and if I want to know, I just click on the hidden icons triangle. Unobtrusive.
    How do you have yours? I'm sure there's some ideas I can use :-)

I am a minimalist of sorts. I can't stand having the systray become too wide or have big icons. I definitely can't stand single-row, full sized icons, which goes back at least to the KDE 3 days. So I have it semi-stock, with a few things set to "always hidden" so I only see them if I decide to. Bluetooth, networking, etc. The rest I leave to pop up as needed. I included the Event Calendar widget opened, which replaces the stock clock and calendar, so I can see the calendar, weather, and the timer (which I use daily) as needed. So what is on my screenshot is the normal, important stuff at the moment. I really should give my external drive a permanent mount point, so I can be rid of the always visible Removable Devices entry, until I am actually using it for USB sticks and such.

Name:	Screenshot_20210329_170405.png
Size:	639.1 KB
ID:	645099 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210329_171624-1.png
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	645100

Oh, yeah, I just remembered to turn of Yakuake's fairly new option for a systray icon.

Comment

Oh yeah... where is the fairly new option for a Yakuake systray icon? I want it... :-)

I mean, if I do press F12, I get it, and I can hide it... but I'd have to startup Yakuake... OK, I'll find out :-)

Comment

Normally I autohide my taskbar, so I don't pay a lot of attention to it. In fact I see two new items, Night Color Control and Vaults. Maybe I'll do some research and deal with them later. Otherwise stock Kubuntu except for KDE Connect

Name:	systray.png
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	645101

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
          Oh yeah... where is the fairly new option for a Yakuake systray icon? I want it... :-)

I mean, if I do press F12, I get it, and I can hide it... but I'd have to startup Yakuake... OK, I'll find out :-)
          Hamburger menu >> Configure >> Behavior
          F12 is a definite ingrained muscle memory, a tray icon is not useful for my particular use.

Comment

Nothing special here, just I prefer Better Inline Clock over the default KDE clock. I have no use for the IM Messenger icon on the Panel.
            Attached Files
            Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              a tray icon is not useful for my particular use.
              Nor for mine, but a hidden one is :-)

Comment

I've rearranged mine slightly. I like it better this way.
                Attached Files
                Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

I got my hidden Yakuake icon :-) By pressing F12, but I have it.
                  If I autostart Yakuake it tends to crash my Plasma. Which I'm sure is my system's fault, not Plasma's or Yakuake's. It's a bit glitchy, I transferred settings from my old machine and... you know ;-)

One thing I'd like to mention on the systray subject.
                  We used to have a Notifications icon that was a little circle with the number of notifications inside it. It was great.
                  Now we have the Bell. Compared to that, basically a deer with bad eyes.
                  I looked and looked for the circle one, can't find it. Any idea how to get it?

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post

One thing I'd like to mention on the systray subject.
                    We used to have a Notifications icon that was a little circle with the number of notifications inside it. It was great.
                    Now we have the Bell. Compared to that, basically a deer with bad eyes.
                    I looked and looked for the circle one, can't find it. Any idea how to get it?
                    The icons used are part of the plasma style.
                    Added ones are stored in
                    ~/.local/share/plasma/desktoptheme/<theme name>/icons/

Stock themes should be in
                    /usr/share/plasma/desktoptheme/<theme name>/icons/

I am afk at the moment and cannot recall which addon theme I am using but it isn't Breeze, and my notifications icons are the blue circles. I am guessing one can take them icon(s) and place them in a different theme.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Great!
                      So when you're ctk, can you attach the circle svg/png/whatever?
                      [probably called notification.svgz]
                      Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Mar 31, 2021, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                        I am a minimalist of sorts. I can't stand having the systray become too wide or have big icons. I definitely can't stand single-row, full sized icons, which goes back at least to the KDE 3 days. So I have it semi-stock, with a few things set to "always hidden" so I only see them if I decide to. Bluetooth, networking, etc. The rest I leave to pop up as needed. I included the Event Calendar widget opened, which replaces the stock clock and calendar, so I can see the calendar, weather, and the timer (which I use daily) as needed. So what is on my screenshot is the normal, important stuff at the moment. I really should give my external drive a permanent mount point, so I can be rid of the always visible Removable Devices entry, until I am actually using it for USB sticks and such.
                        I like the event calendar as well, but apparently it only works with Google? I use Kontact, and the fact that I apparently can not use it is something I find...odd. Unless I'm missing something.
                        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                        K*Digest Blog
                        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                          I like the event calendar as well, but apparently it only works with Google? I use Kontact, and the fact that I apparently can not use it is something I find...odd. Unless I'm missing something.
                          From its description:

Plasmoid for a calendar+agenda with weather that syncs to Google Calendar.

However, if you install kdepim-addons, you can enable the PIM Events plugin, then from there you can go the newly enabled PIM Event section to choose your Korganizer (Kontact) calendar.

May need to make sure you have the latest version of the widget, not sure when this was added to this fairly young third party widget.
                          Last edited by claydoh; Mar 31, 2021, 01:22 PM.

Comment

So, Claydoh (who couldn't get to this page because of... glitches was kind enough to send me some round icons via PM.
                            They're all well and good, except, no numbers.
                            Now, I may have dreamed about it. But I posted here about it just as the icon changed, - almost two years ago, so memory farts are unlikely.
                            But then, I also asked there - almost a year ago, and... well :-/
                            Now, have I dreamed it? Does anyone remember?

[EDIT] On a side note, I set plasmashell --replace (which updates Plasma settings on-the-fly) to Alt-F5 (which was free
                            Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Mar 31, 2021, 03:10 PM.

Comment

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=432045#c3

Comment

Working...
                              X