This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad experience with 20.04

Long time Kubuntu user, but 20.04 has been a really bad experience - perhaps I need a fresh install or I am missing something, no one thing but lots of little things.

1 - My webcam won't work and when I try to use it the whole system freezes - its a new logitech Streamcam and it's newness seems to be the issue.

2 - Installed KDEnlive, seemed fine, then some bug when you press render just hangs on waiting

3 - Installed KILE editor, didn't work uninstalled it and now it works

4 - KRDC unable to remote desktop into my raspberry pi, just get a blue screen, can vnc in zero issues on other PC.

5 - If I close VLC but clicking 'x' on the window during playback it never stops and lives in the taskbar and cannot be killed or used again till a reboot.

I have a 'snap' folder for some installed programs outputs, not sure what that is. Really annoyed with my experience as other I love Kubuntu and enjoy it as a whole, but the above are just not usable taken together.
    Last edited by natman; Aug 04, 2020, 04:30 AM.
    Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

What were you using before you went to 20.04, and did you upgrade into 20.04 or do a clean install?

From personal experience, and being one who tends to stick with the LTS version only, I only clean install (after a data backup of course). I have also learned to wait until the first "point" release of the LTS with the various bug fixes it brings. So waiting patiently for 20.04.1, which is due out in the next couple of days - August 6, I believe.

I'm glad you reminded me about Canonical insistence on using snaps. There is a way to kill the use of snaps, and for now the apt packages have all the software that I need. I'm not sure what will happen if if they decide to go overboard on snap packaging - wait and see. I don't have the snap removal process at immediate hand, but there are threads here that have it well described.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
      What were you using before you went to 20.04, and did you upgrade into 20.04 or do a clean install?

From personal experience, and being one who tends to stick with the LTS version only, I only clean install (after a data backup of course). I have also learned to wait until the first "point" release of the LTS with the various bug fixes it brings. So waiting patiently for 20.04.1, which is due out in the next couple of days - August 6, I believe.

I'm glad you reminded me about Canonical insistence on using snaps. There is a way to kill the use of snaps, and for now the apt packages have all the software that I need. I'm not sure what will happen if if they decide to go overboard on snap packaging - wait and see. I don't have the snap removal process at immediate hand, but there are threads here that have it well described.
      Was a clean install, and previous I was on the 19.04 release which had zero of the above issues (bar the webcam which is a recent purchase)
      Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Comment

The VLC issues I believe is a bug.
        VLC make snap version which does not seem to exhibit this.

Dunno if the issue is plasma related or a VLC issue as it happens in KDE Neon as well, who I believe use their own packaging for it.

Kdenlive is often buggy.
        Id suggest trying an updated version via snap flatpak or ppa.

Kdenlive is one program i do suggest flatpaks or snaps as good alternatives to stock or PPA versions as their developers usually include more compatible libraries and other dependencies , at the expense of some bloat.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
        Last edited by claydoh; Aug 04, 2020, 08:38 AM.

Comment

I use the appimage version of Kdenlive and so far it works well.

Comment

If VLC shows in KSystemMonitor you can deterime its ID and from a Konsole issue "kill -9 nnnnn where nnnnn is the ID number
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              If VLC shows in KSystemMonitor you can deterime its ID and from a Konsole issue "kill -9 nnnnn where nnnnn is the ID number
              Yeah, but then you have to do that every time you use VLC, since it won't play anything until it is killed.
              Heck if you are already in Ksysguard, you can kill it from there

Comment

Working...
              X