This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So There's This

Specifically what is in this story, and in other sources, that are talking about the new way of handling the home directory. Maybe this "feature" will be optional on install, but this is a bit draconian if it becomes an "I know better what's right for you" kind of process imposed on everyone.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

At least the autor in your link says at the end:

"Of course, it’s up to the individual distributions to decide when they’ll include and support systemd-homed and homectl.

So, there’s no need for anyone to go into full-on pitchforks and burning torches mode. Because the standard methods for managing users and home directories will remain, we’ll all still have choices."

Worst case then: one has to change to another distribution…
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Thanks for raising this. I really don't like JSON, and so I don't want all my settings in one JSON file. That appears to be just like the Windows registry, which even Microsoft admitted was a bad idea.

Compulsory encryption of the home directory is data loss waiting to happen IMO.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Agreed. It is change without a difference. And from the author's description of the plan, once implemented, there is no choice.

I think it's time for pitchforks - of the verbal kind.

And if it's a user/administrator install option, I'm fine with that. Don't need a dictated solution to a non-problem.
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Each person’s home directory is mounted on a loopback device, similar to the way in which a snap application is mounted. This is so the directory tree within the home directory appears as a seamless part of the directory tree of the operating system. The mount point defaults to “/home/$USER.homedir” (“$USER” is replaced by the person’s account name).
          Snap!? You've convinced me, Dave McKay, it gotta be utter crap for sure! :P
          Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
          Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
          Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
          Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

For me, this falls in the "Hmmmm..." category. Similar to what was done with Dolphin file manager and to the Dolphin users. It took over a year to get that mess fixed. How long for this change in /home to get bugs ironed out (if that ever happens)? I'm skeptical of things being done to Linux "for our own good"...
            Kubuntu 24.04 64bit under Kernel 6.9.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

/home is for what I do when interacting with Linux, and / is for what Linux does when interacting with me. Of course it's a bit more complex than that, but in general there is a separation of work between users and OS. Respecting that separation is what makes Linux rational. Mixing the work ensures more complexity, especially when also requiring an encrypted user home.

Maybe I'm just old, tired, and stupid. However, I see no purpose for this approach, and will start looking elsewhere should this become commonplace among the distros.

Comment

Working...
              X