This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GRUB] Weird Linux Mint install error

The boss was running Linux Mint 19.X on a Lenovo B50-30 laptop with a 500Gb spinning disk. I originally installed it with four partitions:

EFI
    /
    Swap
    /home

I recently swapped out her drive and replaced it with a Crucial MX500 500Gb SSD and tried a fresh install with the same partition layout. On reboot I got a Grub error at a command prompt: Bootloader missing or some such.

For kicks I did a fresh install deleting the EFI partition and combining it with /

The install finished and I rebooted into a nice clean install! I find it strange that the EFI partition was required on the hard drive but not on the SSD!
    Constant change is here to stay!

If there is no proper EFI partition on any drive the installer will create one automatically. Unless for some reason the computer was booted in Legacy mode (mbr and all that).

I will venture to guess that you have one now.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

The Live USB stick gave me the choice of booting in EFI and Legacy modes. First I tried EFI and it failed after install even though there was a 200Mb EFI partition, but Legacy worked.

I always do manual partitioning because I have separate /home partitions.

I haven't touched the BIOS of that machine since I first installed Mint 19.0 and totally removed Windows 10 (The boss hated it with a vengeance!)

Anyway, it works. The boss is quiet. I need a beer!

Cheers!
      Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

The missing bootloader issue can happen if the needed grub EFI package fails to install for whatever reason.

This is a known bug on previous releases. But it normally spouts an error message at that point

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
          ... The boss is quiet. ...
          IF the boss isn't happy nobody is happy. Great lesson to use in staying married for 58 years!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X