This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UbuntuDDE on Virt-Manager

It was time to test TWO birds on Kubuntu 20.04 with one stone: UbuntuDDE (beta).

What prompted this? I saw a review yesterday of UbuntuDDE on YouTube and decided to try it in virt-manager. I downloaded UbuntuDDE from here: https://ubuntudde.com/ and the discussion forum is here.

UbuntuDDE is the Deepin Desktop Environment running on top of Ubuntu 20.04. It was released to Beta on April 10, 2020 and I thought that it would be a good specimen to test Virt-Manager on Kubuntu 20.04. (Deepin is based in Wuhun, China. Yes, that Wuhun. I hope the developers survived the SARS-Cov-2.)

Installing virt-manager resulted in about 25 packages being installed. I also installed aqemu because it claimed that it was a Qt5 front end for QEMU and KVM. It turned out that it took such a poor advantage of the powerful Qt5.x API and was a poor replacement for virt-manager, so I uninstalled it.

Then I created a UbuntuDDE VM and pointed it at the ISO I had downloaded. I ran it in live mode for a while and it was quick and responsive in both the "Fashion" and "Efficient" mode. I hit the install button and gave it 20GB of VD, 2 of my 8 cores, and 4GB of my 16GB of RAM. After it had created /var/lib/libvirt/images, but before it created the qow2 VHD I popped open a Konsole and issued "sudo chattr -C /var/lib/libvirt/images". I used the EXT4 as the filesystem. Virt created vsda and vsda1. Boot was on vsda and the DDE was put on vsda1.

The only problem I had during the install was in trying to remove the ISO from the VirtIO disk. When it got to the point where it said "Remove the ISO and press Enter" there was no way for me to "remove" it. In the end, I hit the power button and rebooted. Then I could enter the virt-manager edit mode for the UbuntuDDE VM and switch the VirtIO to the newly created installation on UbuntuDDE.qcow2.

UDDE is beautifully made. As a beta I encountered only one bug. When I clicked the "Updater" icon I got an error panel. So, I opened a terminal and issued the usual apt commands. 360+ apps and 5 minutes later the update was done. The NAT connection to my host Internet connect is very fast too. I really couldn't see much speed difference between the Fashion and Efficient mode.

From a user's view point, while the design and implementation is beautiful and solid, especially considering it is a 9 day old beta release, the UI is shallow. IOW, there are not many, if any, right mouse context sensitive options. The file manager, where Dolphin shines, is sparse to the point of spartan. Snapd is not installed and its service is disabled, so Chromium is not on the menu. FireFox and Thunderbird mail are your main Internet communication tools. I haven't found a tool like muon yet, so browsing the repository will have to wait. Like the file manager, the terminal amounts to nothing more than a black box on the screen with text inside. There is no beauty in that.

Those developing UbuntuDDE claim that they have removing telemetry, i.e., tracking. In order to "fork" Deepin the developers, IF they want to use the proprietary images, and software Deepin added which is not under the GPL v3, they had to obtain written permission from Deepin. I don't know if they did or not, but we will probably find out since Deepin 20 beta has been out only 9 days.

Licensing
    The Deepin software is under a GPL v3 license. However, unlike Ubuntu, Deepin also has a EULA. In it the user has to accept behavior controls restricting what they can do with or use Deepin for, what they can write/post to public forums, or probably any place where they can post a msg. All in the name of Social Order, Credit, Peace and such. Outside of China, especially in the US where the 1st Amendment *should* apply, Deepin can't do much, but Chinese citizens who make the CCP unhappy may find themselves with no home, no Internet, no job, no way to travel and subject to incarceration and possibly being an organ donor. A plan mostly set up by XI Jinping, whom the CCP made the permanent president of China last month by scrapping term limits.

I would copy the EULA here but it cannot be copied and I suspect that the text is an obscure binary file that is decoded on the fly to display the EULA. The restrictions in the EULA remind me of YouTube, Twitter and Facebook's user rules. The end of the matter is that the CCP, YouTube, Twitter and Facebook's rules are so vague that they have the liberty to interpret them any way they want in any situation, regardless of how they previously interpreted them.

UbuntuDDE is the perfect distro for those who put beauty and simplicity over power and functionality. The "Fashion" mode creates a docker bar that replaces the bottom toolbar, but its position can be easily changed in the settings display. Otherwise, the default mode is "Fast", in which the toolbar at the bottom of the screen looks and behaves more conventional.

I've used Kubuntu for the last 11 years and I am not too familiar with the operations of most other distros so my "review" of Deepin is limited. For Joe and Sally Sixpack, who know NOTHING about computers and only want to browse the web, use YT, Twitter, Facebook and such, and do emails, the FireFox & Thunderbird combination is excellent and will work well for them. For Joe and Sally, UbuntuDDE is a good choice, but I'd never recommend that they use Deepin itself. And, the question remains about the legal restraints the EULA places on the user, and how the UbuntuDDE team will enforce them, and how the team got permission to fork Deepin, seeing that most of the critical software is v3 and proprietary to Deepin.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 20, 2020, 10:24 AM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I also played around with it in Live mode in Virtualbox. I really liked what I saw! I can't wait for it to go gold then I'll install it in Vbox and decide whether I'll install it on the boss's machine if it's trouble free.

Update: Installed the beta anyway! Kindly reminder?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Beerislife; Apr 19, 2020, 08:09 PM.
    Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Bad advice:
      To use the "Windows Effects" you must install systemsettings, and then check things like "Wobbly Windows", "Slide", etc..
      I.e., "sudo apt install systemsettings5".
      I misunderstood what "Windows Effects" is. In the Configuration there is a toggle switch called "Windows Effects". When I click it on, it flashes a msg says "Windows Effects Failed!" and un-toggles. Since I am running UbuntuDDE on KVM's Virtual Machine, which uses "Display Spice", and not on bare metal where I can install the Nvidia driver for my GT650M, I suspect that I won't be able to activate those effects.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 21, 2020, 09:20 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

When you run it in Virtualbox you're given the choice of using effects or not. It's best to run it without effects if you want a smoother ride ��

Comment

I was unable to run it all in Virt-manager. I have to login twice, then after about 30 seconds the screen goes blank. I've tried installing twice, but get the same problem, either on Effects mode or Normal mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
            When you run it in Virtualbox you're given the choice of using effects or not. It's best to run it without effects if you want a smoother ride ��
            My ride is smooth with or with effects.
            How many cores and how much Display RAM and memory RAM did you give to your VM?

EDIT: Correction - I equated "Fancy" with Windows Effects and "Efficient" with no effects. My VM runs just as fast in Fancy or Efficient but I cannot activate the Windows Effects in the VM. My bad.
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 21, 2020, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
              I was unable to run it all in Virt-manager. I have to login twice, then after about 30 seconds the screen goes blank. I've tried installing twice, but get the same problem, either on Effects mode or Normal mode.
              Did you get any error messages during the install that you ignored or passed by? How many resources did you give to the VM? (Cores, display, RAM, etc). Were you able to switch the boot mode from the install ISO to the VirtIO drive?

Comment

I gave 2 cores and 4 gb ram, like I always do. I didn't make any other changes. No error messages while installing. I was not able to change boot mode. It seems it is still on Cow. Does that make a difference? I don't get any feedback that Cow is disabled despite following instructions in previous posts. I'm running it on Virtual Box right now but it is incredibly slow in updating.

Comment

It still may be on cow. You can check by doing the following:
                  sudo lsattr /var/lib/libvirt

Mine shows:
                  $ sudo lsattr /var/lib/libvirt
                  -------------------- /var/lib/libvirt/boot
                  ---------------C---- /var/lib/libvirt/images
                  -------------------- /var/lib/libvirt/qemu
                  -------------------- /var/lib/libvirt/sanlock
                  -------------------- /var/lib/libvirt/dnsmasq

IF you don't have a C as the nocow attribute on the .../images subdirectory then immediately use your virt-manager program to DELETE that VirtIO HD to minimize harm to your BTRFS system. Then do:

sudo chattr +C /var/lib/libvirt/images

However, you can avoid the use of nocow IF you make your VirtIO HD's a fixed size, but setting nocow is a lot easier.
                  I used 20GB for testing distros, along with 2 cores of CPU, 4GB of RAM.

Comment

I have what you have. I also use 20 gb as disk size, as always. It works on Virtual Box, but very slow in updating packages. Virt-manager is usually much faster.

Comment

Did you redirect your VirtIO Disk 1 to the qcow2 image in /var/lib/libvirt/images directory? You could be loading a corrupt IOSISO file.
                      Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 21, 2020, 04:45 PM.

Comment

The ISO passed the initial test that appears when it's loaded into the VM. By the way, I tried installing it again after a successful install on Virtual Box. It installed fine, did the updates fine, and then when I rebooted as per instructions it messed up again, like before. How do I know if I redirected VirtIO disk 1 to the cow image? I'm not even sure what it is.

Comment

I did a fresh boot of dde and it worked all right, so I suppose I don't need any more help on this. Thanks for your time, I learned something new.

Comment

After I read the UbuntuDDE EULA I removed that distro and replaced it with KDE Neon User Edition. But, I got to thinking that the devs had removed the telemetry and other "phone home" tricks and so I deleted Neon and reinstalled UbuntuDDE.

This time I am going through it with a fine toothed comb. I like to play Solitaire so I found the Synaptic package manager in the System menu and clicked on kpat to install it. The dialog that popped up displayed essentially the entire KDE Plasma DE, so I aborted that and installed one that only loaded a few python apps.

I also did "systemctl list-unit-files" and noticed all the basic snapd services were installed, enabled and active. However, when I did the "mount" command I noticed that NONE of the loop devices were showing. They weren't mounted. Strange. I'm wondering if I can disable most of the snapd services. More playtime ahead.

Comment

8Gb and 16Gb USB sticks are pretty cheap nowadays and I have about 3 or 4 on my desk so I used Etcher to write it to one. Much better! But I was sorely tempted by Ubuntu Cinnamon Remix 20.04 so I overwrote it :-) I'm torn between DDE and Cinnamon for the boss. Kubuntu, or KDE Plasma is way too much desktop for her!

Comment

Working...
                              X