Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covid HEAVY USE Neon and Kubuntu

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • woodsmoke
    replied
    Kontact does not "update" to show THE CONTENTS of a "snoozed" folder which is in the MS Outlook (tm) folder at the college.

    I have just never snoozed any thing but had the perceived need this last week because of a big ZOOM meting for various faculty. The date was set about two weeks ago and I "snoozed" the e-mail which contained the ZOOM link for convenience.

    Kontact does display the folder but not being able to display a snoozed e-mail IN the folder is no biggie for me, I'm just mentioning it.

    Everything else is working great in Kontact.

    If anyone has a question please ask.

    woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Oct 02, 2020, 07:22 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • woodsmoke
    replied
    mr-raider

    Yes we have them but I have been lazy and not gotten the test. My insurance would pay for it and the city has several free walkins at a certain "pharmacy store" which will remain nameless.
    However, the whole thing raises a serious "debate".
    IF SOCIETY IN GENERAL starts getting "the test" when they show no symptoms at all ...the ostensible reason being ' just to be on the safe side', then...just like that worthless testing of "prostitutes" every two weeks or so in VietNam ...
    Yeah, the person did not have an STD when tested but two days later had the STD on a "wet surface" and a guy does the thing and STILL gets the STD..

    Also, does me haveing had the test somehow make me "better" than instructor who did not have the test.

    The whole thing is a monsterous "can of worms".

    So, since the college has not mandated it or even discussed it, I have chosen to no get the test.

    That may change however.

    thanks for the comment!

    woodsmoke

    Leave a comment:


  • mr_raider
    replied
    Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
    Well...
    things have suddenly taken a POSSIBLE turn for the worse for yours truely.

    a) a student contacted me today that the person has been very sick the last few days and is self quarantining and will be tested for Covid tomorrow.
    b) that means that I could be required to self quarrantine if the person tests positive until I can be tested, and yes we do not need to get into all the conspiracy theories and shouting about Trump about the accuracy of the tests.

    c) the point of this post is that ...welll...today has just been NUTS in terms of not a "flurry" but a DUNE like storm of e-mails going back and forth between various administrators, the "cares" team, you name it.

    Basically "one" situation...like a bunch of rabbits running in and out of holes ...spread "like exponentially" (almost) through the bureaucracy ...AS THE SYSTEM BEGAN TO WORK...

    but...again the point of the post is this...

    I had MS outluk and Kontact running "in parallel" with each other and Kontact "stepped up to the plate

    IF things continue in this vein for Kontact...it MAY be that Kontact really has 'reached maturity" especially now that Kontact can interact with MS CLOUD... which seems to be the "operational nexus"...not "the college's e-mail" as was previously the problem.

    So...KUDOS again to the devs... they probably are getting tired of seeing me post that.

    woodlikesKontactsmoke
    Do you have walk in test centers? Just go get tested and you'll have your result by Monday. Case closed.

    Leave a comment:


  • woodsmoke
    replied
    Well...
    things have suddenly taken a POSSIBLE turn for the worse for yours truely.

    a) a student contacted me today that the person has been very sick the last few days and is self quarantining and will be tested for Covid tomorrow.
    b) that means that I could be required to self quarrantine if the person tests positive until I can be tested, and yes we do not need to get into all the conspiracy theories and shouting about Trump about the accuracy of the tests.

    c) the point of this post is that ...welll...today has just been NUTS in terms of not a "flurry" but a DUNE like storm of e-mails going back and forth between various administrators, the "cares" team, you name it.

    Basically "one" situation...like a bunch of rabbits running in and out of holes ...spread "like exponentially" (almost) through the bureaucracy ...AS THE SYSTEM BEGAN TO WORK...

    but...again the point of the post is this...

    I had MS outluk and Kontact running "in parallel" with each other and Kontact "stepped up to the plate

    IF things continue in this vein for Kontact...it MAY be that Kontact really has 'reached maturity" especially now that Kontact can interact with MS CLOUD... which seems to be the "operational nexus"...not "the college's e-mail" as was previously the problem.

    So...KUDOS again to the devs... they probably are getting tired of seeing me post that.

    woodlikesKontactsmoke

    Leave a comment:


  • woodsmoke
    replied
    GG you really DO just have an amazing history!

    Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    My drinking stories:
    After graduation

    It's probably been 10 years since my last glass of wine.
    woody

    Leave a comment:


  • woodsmoke
    replied
    What was that song lyric?
    Those were the days my friend I wish they'd never end...

    "https://www.youtube.com/embed/aUsIYDcDo28

    Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
    @woodoldsmoke: How old is old? Is 40, 50, 70 old? Didn't do much bar-hopping, per se, except to find out where the h* she was, but that's another episode. Got stuck in a cozy, friendly neighborhood bar, where everyone knows your name, all the friends and neighbors and cowboys and Indians. Teachers would drop by after they finished their day, made good friends. I got hooked on, no, not pool, but darts. Got pretty good at it, if I do say. We'd shoot darts and nurse one beer for an hour or longer. I learned to throw well by intentionally challenging the pro's, who only played for money. Not much, maybe $1-$2 per game.

    But they could clean up the game in a few minutes! I budgeted a set amount each night for 'losing darts' and then would step aside and let them clean out other people. I knew I'd lose every time, but that's how I learned to run with the big dogs. Got to where I could pop a bull--even a double bull, and even a rare triple--as casually as I popped open a beer can ... Those were some daze, uhh, uhmm, days. It made me feel younger and probably took 5 years off my life.

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    My drinking stories:
    After graduation one of my high school buddies and I decided to go so a movie at a drive-in in Boulder, CO. Driving from Englewood we stopped at a liquor store and picked up a case of 6% country club malt liquor. I remember the opening scene of the movie showing the USS Constitution and the name of the star, Robert Stack, portraying John Paul Jones. The next thing I remember is waking up in the back seat of the 1938 Chevy because the Sun was shining in my eyes. My buddy, Don, was laying out in the yard, sleeping. Neither one of us remembered driving 25 miles back from Boulder to Englewood. Later I talked him into joining the Army on their Buddy Plan. He passed the physical and I failed it - hammer toes. He went off to Korea and I went back to work.

    I worked a year at a luggage factory loading boxed luggage into boxcars. My co-worker and I would go out on weekends bar hopping. We always found a few others who'd do the same. Five or six of us would set around a table and each would buy a pitcher of beer for $1, in succession. So, for a buck I'd get 5 or 6 glasses of 3.2 beer.(Late summer, 1960, Denver CO).

    One Saturday nite I got bored doing the drinking scene and told my buddy I would take a pass. The next Monday he didn't show up at work. My supervisor came by to tell me that he was in the hospital and probably wouldn't be back to work for several months. I went to visit him and here is what he told me:
    "I went to a Mexican bar in Aurora and started flirting with a pretty Chica. The Chicos didn't like it and pushed me out of the bar and pounded on me."
    He was in an almost full body cast. Both legs broken, one arm broken, ribs broken, jaw broken in several places, skull fracture, blood shot eyes. One leg was slightly elevated. His entire head was in a cast and he was breathing out of holes in the cast for his nostrils and his mouth. He was eating through a straw. Wires which tied his jaw bone together were protruding from the face cast. He told me "Jerry, I was drunk and they couldn't use anesthesia when they operated. I never had anything hurt so bad in my entire life". I don't know how they could have immobilized him while they tied his jaw bones together and protruded the wires through his cheeks.

    A few days later I got an offer of a board scholarship to a college in central Nebraska, so I took it. I never had another alcoholic drink until I flew me and my business partner to Waterproof, LA, to meet a prospective vendor, Buddy Miller III, who was selling a compute called "David" from the Logical Corporation, and hook up with the maker of a card for IBM PC's which featured SAVVY, and AI + Database written in Forth. He took us to Cock Of The Walk on the Mississippi river, where I was introduced to a mint julep. I didn't realize it was booze until the room started spinning. They had a good laugh.

    I like a good white wine. My flight instructor and I were invited to the Cessna plant at Wichita, Kansas. I assumed they thought I was in the market for an airplane. Cessna sponsored a wine tasting event. In the center of a large auditorium was a series of tables with various wines on display, along with half-oz cups to sample the wine, and plastic lined 50 gal waste baskets to spit into. Around the edge of the auditorium were a series of tables with crackers, cheese and water to "cleanse" the pallet between tastes wines. I never swallowed a single drop of wine, but within 30 minutes my vision started spinning. One doesn't have to swallow an alcoholic beverage - the Ethanol passes through the tongue and cheek straight into the veins and on to the brain.

    It's probably been 10 years since my last glass of wine.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 05, 2020, 11:12 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Qqmike
    replied
    @woodoldsmoke: How old is old? Is 40, 50, 70 old? Didn't do much bar-hopping, per se, except to find out where the h* she was, but that's another episode. Got stuck in a cozy, friendly neighborhood bar, where everyone knows your name, all the friends and neighbors and cowboys and Indians. Teachers would drop by after they finished their day, made good friends. I got hooked on, no, not pool, but darts. Got pretty good at it, if I do say. We'd shoot darts and nurse one beer for an hour or longer. I learned to throw well by intentionally challenging the pro's, who only played for money. Not much, maybe $1-$2 per game. But they could clean up the game in a few minutes! I budgeted a set amount each night for 'losing darts' and then would step aside and let them clean out other people. I knew I'd lose every time, but that's how I learned to run with the big dogs. Got to where I could pop a bull--even a double bull, and even a rare triple--as casually as I popped open a beer can ... Those were some daze, uhh, uhmm, days. It made me feel younger and probably took 5 years off my life.

    Leave a comment:


  • woodsmoke
    replied
    Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
    woodsmoke: I went through a "barfly" mode (btw, I love the movie, Charles Bukowski) around 1989-1992 (which means, probably longer than that ;-) ), and you have a point, IME. Ever notice (are you a bar go-er?) how easy it is to catch all sorts of stuff in a bar -- cold and flu bugs are popular. Since you are out of it much of the time, you hardly notice, though. Of course, there is also another variable: immune systems.
    Hi
    not much of a "bar goer". I go to two rather "high end" restaurants that have bars also, mostly I sit at a table by myself, since I am MUCH older than dirt, sometimes stand at the bar but these are not "down and dirty" bars. I also go to a "family bar" once every few weeks. Literally, everybody in the place knows everybody else AND where they have been, who they talk to, etc. It really is a kind of "closed society", and I sit at the bar and usually have a MONSTER hamburger and gin and tonic. Curiously, even though "everybody knows me", they don't visit much because I am a "professor" and they think of themselves as VERY "lower blue collar" even though they also know that I've worked in sheet metal, lumber yards, etc. it is curious but I really do think that I "just don't think like them",... after all...I ALSO SCUBA DIVE...and THAT they really do not understand...not that they don't know what it is but that..."who would DO that..? ? lol...

    The folks in the high end places are very mobile, they are kind of..."a moose herd" of male 30 somethings that are "butting chests" and hollering about this or that sports team that is in season. the women that are not attached are ...older and looking for the "young jock"... lol...

    The family bar place is much more "stay in one spot", playing cards or checkers or throwing darts.

    I've never been into the bar scene, even in the Navy but, being much older than dirt... I tried churches...even started one...it went bye bye because folks moved,DIED... or whatever... So... yeah, I interval walk, swim, read, work on school stuff, watch videos on either KDE NEON or on Kubuntu VLC...

    woodoldsmoke

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    Originally posted by Bings View Post
    "They" who is "they? The second video shows it's a problem with the A.I. The A.I. that youtubes uses because it's not really physically possible to manually monitor all the crap that is put on youtube, yet they have to do it somehow because of the law. All of their community guidelines are applying laws, using an imperfect AI to cover their backsides. This guy is upset, like most of these youtubers are upset, not because of the rules but because the process denies them the initial first few days influx of views = $. So, he should switch to an alternate provider that can get him better money, oh no, he can't. The problem for youtube is it is too big to competently apply the laws in the many countries it spans. The redundant intellectual property laws and absurd neo-communist behavioural laws it is forced to abide to and it is easier to penalise the video uploaders than fight large firms copyright teams and governments. So, imo, video uploaders should focus their ire on the lawmakers they elect rather than the company that is clumsily enforcing them and am sure would rather not like to spend a large portion of budget doing so.
    English not your first language? "They" refers to its antecedent,
    What are YT's rules in their ToS? They are ...
    You are right in at least one regard: the first week of a video's life on YT is the most important for generation of income from ads. YT's first attack is to demonize a video. That's just a fancy way of saying "thank you, but we'll keep the money your video earns for ourself, but keep on posting your stuff because it will make us even more money". YT is, in many cases, nothing more or less than a thief. Or, in Activists terms, an employer exploiting workers.

    Blaming everything on AI won't fly because YT has people that follow selected individuals and manually flag their content. Even you can flag a video you don't like and cause it to be taken off line. AI *might* be the thing that first looks at your flag, but many times it is assigned an individual. Also, the AI appears to have pro-Left and anti_Conservative bias programmed into it because the ratio of demonetized videos is not proportional. YT also shadow bans some content creators by not informing their subscribers of new videos, not updating their subscriber count properly to make them appear to be less popular than they are, not putting their videos in the "new" stream, etc... It tells you a lot when YT employed the SPLC a classic example of a Left Wing hate group, to flag Conservative videos.

    There are good things to come from YT's censorship. It will force content creators to migrate away from the giant corporate platforms to other places where their views, writing, speech, art and content will never be censored. Many YT content creators have 2ndary channels on BitChute, LBRY.TV , Brighteon and other sites on which they post their videos as well. Those sites are not filtered politically, so you can see a wide range of political views. That site often becmes the content creator's primary channel after they are deplatformed from YT. Content providers on those sites also have links to their Patron and similar account so they get monetized that way. More and more, YT is using their "community guidelines" as an excuse not to pay channels for their views.

    This has placed YT, FB, Twitter and other sites in violation of the Community Decency Act, section 230, which says Internet sites are not responsible for the content posted on their site IF they do not edit the content. That is exactly what YT, FB and Twitter are doing by filtering content based on the POV of the content provider.

    In July the Commerce Dept filed a petition with the FCC to "Clarify Liability Protections for Online Platforms and Protect Against Censorship". "The petition was filed in response to the May 2020 Executive Order on Preventing Online Censorship. It calls on the FCC to make clear when online platforms can claim section 230 protections if they restrict access to content in a manner not specifically outlined under the Act." The petition is here.

    Leave a comment:


  • Qqmike
    replied
    @ GreyGeek & Bings ... If you ever do have an issue with YT, it is very difficult -- if not impossible -- to contact a live human to talk to about it by email. You are at the mercy of A.I.

    Leave a comment:


  • Qqmike
    replied
    woodsmoke:
    ...and the problem with opening bars because people "move around"...is...are they not just "mixing the air" and "keeping the droplets buoyed".? And if so, then why is this supposed mobility not creating "in effect" the same situation as someone "sitting in a pew"... dunno...
    I went through a "barfly" mode (btw, I love the movie, Charles Bukowski) around 1989-1992 (which means, probably longer than that ;-) ), and you have a point, IME. Ever notice (are you a bar go-er?) how easy it is to catch all sorts of stuff in a bar -- cold and flu bugs are popular. Since you are out of it much of the time, you hardly notice, though. Of course, there is also another variable: immune systems.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bings
    replied
    "They" who is "they? The second video shows it's a problem with the A.I. The A.I. that youtubes uses because it's not really physically possible to manually monitor all the crap that is put on youtube, yet they have to do it somehow because of the law. All of their community guidelines are applying laws, using an imperfect AI to cover their backsides. This guy is upset, like most of these youtubers are upset, not because of the rules but because the process denies them the initial first few days influx of views = $. So, he should switch to an alternate provider that can get him better money, oh no, he can't. The problem for youtube is it is too big to competently apply the laws in the many countries it spans. The redundant intellectual property laws and absurd neo-communist behavioural laws it is forced to abide to and it is easier to penalise the video uploaders than fight large firms copyright teams and governments. So, imo, video uploaders should focus their ire on the lawmakers they elect rather than the company that is clumsily enforcing them and am sure would rather not like to spend a large portion of budget doing so.

    Leave a comment:


  • GreyGeek
    replied
    Did you even watch the video?
    What are YT's rules in their ToS? They are vague and can be applied in any way the YT wants, even contradictory.
    That's the point of the video.
    That YT makes up rules on the fly has become overwhelmingly obvious.
    YT's arbitrary and capricious application of their ToS, which slants HEAVILY to favor the extreme Left, has forced many to post videos in BitChute, Briteon, LBRY.TV, and other sites that don't censor videos based on vague and arbitrary PC rules.

    One YouTuber creator I watch is Thunderfoot, who definitely leans to the Left, but it doesn't appear to matter. Talk about shooting your wounded and eating your young.
    Listen to his tale of woe.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 03, 2020, 09:22 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Bings
    replied
    He's quite happy to use their platform to make money but not abide by their rules.

    Leave a comment:

Users Viewing This Topic

Collapse

There are 0 users viewing this topic.

Working...
X