An interesting video about censorship on social media:
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Covid HEAVY USE Neon and Kubuntu
Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
-
Your comment on "the ballistics" of the droplets is what I described in my first lecture this semester. The absolute latest data out discusses the "six foot" rule when there is a "mixed" group of people some with and some without masks but... ... in a uniform group, in which all are masked the ballistics actually work out to "three feet" However, the college is forcing 6 feet in almost all enclosed spaces.. No students are seated with only three feet but, because, literally, of the construction of lab tables the closest are "diagonal" at an "minimum " of about four and a half feet but there is something else involved that has not yet been discussed.Originally posted by mr_raider View PostThey may not filter all the particles, but they affect the ballistics of the droplets, and most virus is contained within droplets. With masks the particle will be projected to a far shorter distance which will help reduce contagion to people in closer proximity.
And, I didn't plan on this being a thread about masks...!
And that is "the amount of time" that people are at a certain distance from each other.
That is literally, as far as I can determine ... what is the reasoning about "closing churches" vs "opening bars".
People in a church are going to spend at least an "hour" sitting at whatever distance the local authorities prescribe.
But people in a "bar" are "mostly" mobile if they are younger... yes people do sit elbow to elbow but "most" people in a bar are "moving around" so they do not spend an "hour" next to each other..
One of the other professors made a vague discussion about attending a ZOOM about there being a "matrix" of various data sets about "distance", "time being near someone", the temperature of the enclosed space, whether there is an active high volume of air moved in the space, and other things...
And, a complicating factor about "air volume movement" is...to where are the droplets being moved?
...and the problem with opening bars because people "move around"...is...are they not just "mixing the air" and "keeping the droplets buoyed".? And if so, then why is this supposed mobility not creating "in effect" the same situation as someone "sitting in a pew"... dunno...
It is all more complex that the decision makers actually talk about.
but...good comment.
woodsmoke
woodsmokeLast edited by woodsmoke; Sep 01, 2020, 10:16 PM.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
LOL just LOL GG...
LYSENKOISM... GUESS WHAT IS NOT BEING TAUGHT IN BIOLOGY CLASSES SINCE about ten years ago...
because...supposedly..."we do not want to offend "Russians"... and because "the students should not be CONFUSED by seemingly contradictory information...:
Well..I ...teach it...with a picture of the man and also Kruschev and information from OLDER books...and Wikipedia...
A NOTE...I have mentioned this several years ago but when I was teaching environmental science and the Avian flu was SWEEPING across Asia toward Europe during the Obama years...
I thought that was a GREAT thing to have the students graph and study exponential growth of things like transmissible diseases...
AND WHAT DID WE FIND?
The World Health Organization literally DID NOT POST the numbers...they instead posted images of the world map with "CIRCLES OF DIFFERENT SIZES" to represent the "outbreaks"... So the students then "used diameters" to INFER the numbers and graph them...
Yeah this whole thing about "reporting numbers" is ... questionable...
great information GG!
lol...Lysenkoism...ONLY YOU would bring in that perspective!
woody
Originally posted by GreyGeek View PostBefore the change in how C19 cases were counted this was the situation:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]9048[/ATTACH]
Who is driving the hysteria? Why are some people shaming others who choose not to wear masks when the scientific evidence establishes unequivocally that masks do not work? Masks are becoming a great example of Lysenkoism. I even see people hyperventilating over the idea that because so many people are out of work no one is manufacturing goods and delivering services and supply chains are becoming empty.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
GG...
Hi!
AS ALWAYS...you always have "the straight skinny".
I "think" that the college administrators ( after all we are a high tech place) are aware of what you have posted.
My thoughts are several:
a) I think that every single "educational" institution is just SCARE PLAIN SILLY that a student will die from the CV-19 and it be "traced" back to the college and then the college will be "sued" or a teacher" will be sued or whatever, and even if not sued then the "bad press" would be horrible...
b) Trump has pumped a LOT of money into the 'education" system for this and because of the very far thinking architect using state of the art construction materials the college was able to ...really...literall tear apart a lot of the buildings and rearrange them to get the students "a six foot distance"...
c) the college, as with many other colleges, has taken a very large income "hit" because of limiting "classroom seats" to 16, that being down from a normal 24 to get the students even further apart.
d) However, the hit was somewhat mitigated, again, by a very forward thinking board of directors in that all classes have at least one online version and / or a hybrid that meets physically for something like a lab. And requiring all instrucors to put "at least something" ...online starting a few years ago and switching to Canvas(tm) from Blackboard(tm) which actually enhances online sharing of things like images or video ... ALL of the students were actually ready for the move to "remote learning"...EXCEPT... a lot of stdents were using the MANY computer "labs" instead of owing hardware at home and having internet in the residence. THESE people were literally using their cell phones for a lot of the online interaction for most of it and otherwise just "faking it".
The reasoning for this was that the college did not want to separate students into "haves" and "have nots" with hardware.
But, this semester all students are required to have a computer or tablet, etc... now...HOW is this checked...it is not... nobody is going to go to a students home...but... again, the Trump money was not wasted on foll de roll... ANY student who merely asks for a computer can get a "Chrome book" for no interest student fee charge...or...literally FREE... that money came from local donors... again, how does anyone check if the student actually does not have a computer and is not lying...nobody checks...it literally comes down to "trusting the student"...
Kind of says something about the midwest doesn't it?
Same for internet access. if the student does not have it ...it is provided free... of course, there it can be checked, the internet provider knows who has what...
So...
We have had a loss in seated students but a nice increase in online students...but... this works only for "non laboratory" classes like language, history, art all that stuff..
As to masks...
I really DO think that the administration does NOT think that masks "work" but that by insisting on EVERYBODY wearing them that the students will be more "aware" of being socially distanced since the rooms have been expanded / rearranged, and the cohort sizes reduced in numbers of people...and that the distancing is the real factor to keep it from being transmitted at the college.
The Canvas(tm) site also has a massive greeting with information about distancing and all that and the college has an OBVIOUS and easily accessed "dashboard" with a listing of the numbers of students on each campus which are quarrantined and also those who have an actual case.
Fortunately we have some campii with no cases and others have literally one and one campus two.
The college really is VERY large but it has no "sports teams" and it also has no "dormitories" and only one "lunch room" on the main campus. The college is literally a "drive up" set of campii with students bringing lunches or some campii having various "food trucks".
So...yeah...face masks... we are requiring a "cloth mask" and that is all but it is being monitored ...
BUT THEN... we also had one student... will not get into other things... that enrolled on one campus appeared with a "devil mask" and got into "it" with campus security and later literally DROVE to another campus an hour away and tried to get into that campus with the devil mask... all in one day... and the next day did not appear for class so it has been assumed that he had "nefarious" reasons...
Ya know... there really IS stuff that can't be made up!
woodsmoke
Originally posted by GreyGeek View PostHi Woody!
Masks ... ugh!

The National Institute of Health (NIH) is a US government agency that collects articles from academic and professional journals around the world.
The paper linked below was published April 22, 2015, following the first MERS and SARS pandemic. Unlike studies published since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, this is an example of a paper which was not
Besides, IF even cotton masks worked as well as some claim, why impose social distancing or crowd size limits (except for "peaceful" protesting)?
**stepping off soap box**Last edited by woodsmoke; Sep 01, 2020, 09:12 PM.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
Thanks for the comment, it is useful information!
woodsmoke
Originally posted by mbohets View PostNice to see that things are working out online for you.
I had less luck when being invited to an online meeting using Microsoft Teams.
There is a linux preview version, so I installed that one.
As I never used teams before, I started it well in advance of the meeting, and at first it seemed to work, I got to the meeting bridge of the company that invited me, but the meeting was not online yet.
30 min later, just before the start of the meeting, I tried again, but I was no longer able to connect.
I got all kinds of errors, telling me that I needed to re-install the 2 factor authenticator app on my cell phone, but that did not help, also MS Teams was not opening up anymore, even afer a purge and re-install.
The only way I saw that is was on my system was an icon in the taskbar telling me that teams was running, but I could not maximize it anymore.
So after having missed the first 20 min of the meeting, I got an older pc that still had a windows OS in dual boot on it, and logged into the meeting using Windows10
I kept Windows on that older PC for the occasional firmware update of a synthesiser, that has an updater that only runs on windows.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
GG
thanks for the information I have it and it runs and all but I have not attempted to get it to interact with a ZOOM(tm) room. I figured that as stressed as all of the systems are, that "playing along" would be best.
But, again, thanks for the info!
woody
Originally posted by GreyGeek View PostThere are a bunch of deb package (4-6) that contain various parts and rather than clog up my laptop with those, or with the electron version, I decided to download and use the AppImage.
https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-electron/releases which contains
https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-...86_64.AppImage
Then I added the execute permission using Dophin.
I did not want to run without a sandbox so I used the sysctl command.
I got an icon from here: https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-...esources/icons
and used it to pretty up my menu entry.
It works wonderfully!
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
HiOriginally posted by mr_raider View PostHow do you update zoom automatically? There is no repo that I'm aware of.
Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk
Thank you for the question. The app itself downloads from the ZOOM(tm) site itself, I clicked a menu dropdown and chose Ubuntu and it installed the AMD64 version. Whenever I log into work on a meeting or a room or whatever ZOOM(tm) says it needs to download an updage and it forces it through, no choice. I don't see any "difference" in anything. But it does take a few minutes so that is why i check in early before I really "need" to do anything with another person.
again, thanks for the question.
woodsmoke
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
And a lot of people don't understand what CDC was talking about, including many high up in the Administration. The fact still remains that we have, and have had, a serious problem with COVID-19 and weak guidance, and interest, towards solving the problem. So we end up with a disproportionate impact on American citizens, and more bs from "sources" like QAnon than we can stand.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
I am shocked that the comorbidity story took so dang long to make it here. Has social media and alternative news been slow or something this week? Or is it just the narrow field of view the lens that is the internet makes it harder to zoom out and see more context outside of what confirms one's preset notions, and create obvious conclusions.
Say I get bronchitis, which then causes me to develop pneumonia. Which kills me. I have respiratory issues. So what killed me, the bronchitis, or the COPD?
Sure, there will be misreporting, in hospital data as well as whatever passes for news outlets looking to minimize things. Or overinflat them, depending on what crowd is being catered to.
Add in each state reporting things differently just to keep things interesting.
Excess deaths
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm
https://hub.jhu.edu/2020/09/01/comorbidities-and-coronavirus-deaths-cdc/
Influenza
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden...-estimates.htm
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2018-2019.html
EDIT
Sorry I keep forgetting this is a Linux support forum, and not Facebook or Usenet.
I'll go back to work now.Last edited by claydoh; Sep 01, 2020, 04:11 PM.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
The rules regarding the determination of death has INCREASED the likelihood that a death will be classified as due to C19 regardless of the real cause. Despite that one can see that death rates are declining. New York, for example, has essentially flat lined:Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View PostThanks for data GreyGeek. I note that there seems to be a decline in the death RATE. I wonder how much of that is due to changes in the way the cause of death is attributed?....
...
It is also curious that the influenza reporting is being ignored, perhaps because influenza deaths are happening at a similar rate to COVID? But no clamor for us to wear masks to avoid influenza...
Looking forward to the rest of your report.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/new-york/
showing only a few deaths per day. They seem to have reached herd immunity. My own state, Nebraska, has for all practical purposes flat lined as well.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
22 states have 0 or 1 deaths due to C19 yesterday, and another 20 or so had 2 to 10 cases. California had 82 deaths yesterday. Florida 64. Texas 53. The total deaths yesterday was 512 for the entire nation.
This in a nation of 330 million people that recorded 6.2 million C19 cases and 187,736 C19 deaths over the last 6 months.
According to Statista about 171,800 have died of Pneumonia as of 8/22 this year. They also show 6,655 Influenza deaths.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
They may not filter all the particles, but they affect the ballistics of the droplets, and most virus is contained within droplets. With masks the particle will be projected to a far shorter distance which will help reduce contagion to people in closer proximity.Originally posted by GreyGeek View PostYou are assuming, of course, that masks work to filter C19. That assumption has been proven by several random controlled trials to be wrong. So, if masks can't filter a 0.1 micron particle, and they can't, what's the point in wearing them?
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
-
Thanks for the data GreyGeek. I note that there seems to be a decline in the death RATE. I wonder how much of that is due to changes in the way the cause of death is attributed?
In earlier weeks, there were reports that hospitals were making more money by listing COVID as the cause of death. ie. get hit by a car, but test positive for COVID and that became the cause, thus ratcheting up the totals for COVID. With the acknowledged hyper sensitivity of the newest tests (PCR), many more people are found to have been exposed...
It is also curious that the influenza reporting is being ignored, perhaps because influenza deaths are happening at a similar rate to COVID? But no clamor for us to wear masks to avoid influenza...
Looking forward to the rest of your report.Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Sep 01, 2020, 09:49 PM.
- Top
- Bottom
Leave a comment:
Users Viewing This Topic
Collapse
There are 0 users viewing this topic.
Leave a comment: