This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox 75 - resizing the bulgy bar

Firefox 75 introduces some "improvements" one of which causes the address bar to swell up and partially obscure the surrounding area when the user does some things like clicking in the url bar or opening a new tab.

There are some about:config hacks to reverse some of the "improvements" with the caveat that the hacks may get the axe down the road.

Right now, I'm using the CSS provided here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/We...ve_megabar.css.

I don't know how long they'll let users use that route.
    Last edited by chimak111; Apr 08, 2020, 10:30 PM.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Setting "browser.urlbar.update1" to false (and the others as well) didn't work for me.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I just updated, got FF 75. I don't dislike the bulgy bar at all, actually.
      I mean, what is the problem if it "partially obscures the surrounding area" when I click it? I'm not doing anything in the surrounding area, I'm doing them in the bar...

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Setting "browser.urlbar.update1" to false (and the others as well) didn't work for me.
        Did you try a restart of the browser?

Anyway, I took the CSS route.
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
          Did you try a restart of the browser?
          Worked for me on both Ubuntu and Kubuntu after restarting Firefox. I only needed to toggle the setting that was displayed first.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
            I just updated, got FF 75. I don't dislike the bulgy bar at all, actually.
            I mean, what is the problem if it "partially obscures the surrounding area" when I click it? I'm not doing anything in the surrounding area, I'm doing them in the bar...
            Exactly!

But I suppose it could be a problem if you have modified your Firefox from the default look.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltS48 View Post
              Exactly!

But I suppose it could be a problem if you have modified your Firefox from the default look.
              Hmmm... I guess that's why users choose Firefox. And the bulge really enhances functionality. I wonder why it took so many years to incorporate such a valuable feature.
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

And ...

Remove browser.urlbar.update1 pref coming to you in Fx 77. Thanks Dao!
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I use CustomCSSforFx (16,000 lines of CSS) to minimize firefox UI elements. Just done a git pull, lots of changes but nothing affecting me.

UI people seem to hate users messing with their designs, and my tweaks to get a reasonable interface keep getting broken. Keeping tabs in one piece (that is, below the navigation and bookmarks bars) has been a struggle over the years.

CustomCSSforFx had no trouble with firefox 75, I didn't notice.
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                    I use CustomCSSforFx ...
                    Aris is a genius. Maybe he's already done some magic that takes care of things.

Yes, the early part of the changelog here has a lot to do with the megabar. And he's already trying to address v77 in which they'll kill off the about:config options.

(There was a time he got quite frustrated and wanted to move to some other browser.)

Anyway, I sincerely want to know how the "bulge" is materially or functionally beneficial to users. Was it a feature much requested by users?
                    Last edited by chimak111; Apr 12, 2020, 08:48 PM.
                    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Chimak111 wrote:
                      "address bar to swell up".

Well... swell...lol... I THINK that this is exactly what I would like to have happen when I am using the Kparadigmshift spin of Kubu... standing halfway across the room I can easily increase the size of the "text inside a document" etc but, the "tabs" are very small and the text is hard to read.

I've tried various ideas for "increasing the size of the text in the URL / tab" and had what can only be called "disasterous results".

So,. FF 75... I am typing this IN Firefox 72.0.1 and do not see the reported behaviour so I'll maybe have to see if i can upgrade FF...dunno...

But, THANK YOU for this post because it introduced a new term to me..."bulgy"... lol

woodsmoke

Comment

Hi
                        well, I just installed FF75, using SNAP and I do not see any "bulgy bar" is there some way to enable it?
                        woodsmoke

Comment

Nothing to do with Firefox but if you've enabled it in Desktop Effects, pressing Meta plus + will magnify the entire screen. And Meta plus - will bring it back to normal. There are a few settings for this feature as well.
                          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

ok
                            ill try that
                            woody

Comment

lol just lol
                              HOW MANY YEARS have I done desktop effects, going all the way back to having to install multiple packages to get "compiz fusion" working to make the desktop into a cylinder! lol

just lol...

And I just plain FORGOT about that... it was enabled and it does indeed magnify the whole desktop.

But, still no bulgy bar...

woody

Comment

Working...
                              X