This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A non-snap chromium browser

I hold my nose and use google-chrome when I have to, but for those who want to use chromium in 19.10+, but not the snap version, here's someone who's using a deb from Debian (but this link is not available if you aren't logged in to the site): https://askubuntu.com/questions/1225...nloads-via-apt. See the image there.

Edit with more detail:

The image in that AU question shows the OP downloading chromium from a Debian site. Click on the image to enlarge it.

Then, in the comments below the question there's a link which leads to an answer titled Debian Repo Saves the Day! (This link is accessible to all).

Again, I have not tested this route because I mostly use Firefox.
    Last edited by chimak111; Apr 08, 2020, 10:21 PM.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Is there anything chromium does that brave - supposedly an "optimised" chromium - doesn't?
    Not a rhetorical question, just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
      Is there anything chromium does that brave - supposedly an "optimised" chromium - doesn't?
      Not a rhetorical question, just curious.
      No idea. I've never tried Brave. I get by with Firefox most of the time.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
        I hold my nose and use google-chrome when I have to, but for those who want to use chromium in 19.10+, but not the snap version, here's someone who's using a deb from Debian: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1225...nloads-via-apt. See the image there.
        Wrong link? the post here does not seem related.

I cannot see any Debian package for Chromium from Debian NOT being ancient af.

In 18.04, the latest Chromium deb from Ubuntu (version 80.0.3987.163) plus deps takes 250+ mb of disk space on my system
        The snap ( also version 80.0.3987.163), plus the core18 snap ( a dep), takes ~215,. so there is not really a bloat issue with this particular thing.

It is interesting that Ubuntu LTS has a more current Chromium release, compared to 19.10, but it does make sense as 18.04 is both LTS and supported for some time, while 19.10 is behind. The current Chromium package is less than a week old. Ubuntu used to lag on this browser almost as bad as Debian.

Comment

Hey Claydoh, you're right about the link, BUT, it did connect to an app called "apt-fast", which I never heard of before. That app uses aria2 to open multiple download channels to increase the download speed from the repository. A Focal version is available on launchpad and I downloaded it to test it. It appears to significantly increases the update and download speeds.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Again, just curious... I always get updates from the repos at - or very close to - the maximum speed of my connection. Fibre-optic, 120 mbps.
            What sort of connections do "you" have to need multi-protocol downloaders?

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              Hey Claydoh, you're right about the link, BUT, it did connect to an app called "apt-fast", which I never heard of before. That app uses aria2 to open multiple download channels to increase the download speed from the repository. A Focal version is available on launchpad and I downloaded it to test it. It appears to significantly increases the update and download speeds.
              The utility has been around for ages, maybe even decades

Apt does semi-concurrent connections nowadays, way back when, it did not, hence someone developed apt-fast. I believe today apt downloads multiple packages simultaneously.
              I did use it for a while, but found whatever mirrors apt sent me to were not always capable of handling so many connections. This was probably back when I first got DSL, 1Mb I believe
              I think I was the first person in my town to sign up when it was first offered

Comment

Again, just curious... I always get updates from the repos at - or very close to - the maximum speed of my connection. Fibre-optic, 120 mbps.

I have 100mbps cable, and routinely actually get that speed. But it does depend on which of the many mirrors one is connecting to and the traffic they see. I personally seldom see more than 60, with PPAs often being noticeably slower, as these do not have mirrors (or not many). I dpon't often notice, so I may get full speed, but don't notice. I also am a cord-cutter, so I am often streaming online content and the like, which I am sure has an effect

Comment

500mbps symmetrical fiber optic.

BUT, my 8 year old wifi chip will only do 256mbps.

Why do I have a 500mbps connection if my wifi can't do over 256mbps? Well, on occasions I will string a cat6 cable from the wifi router.

Initially I purchased only a 100mpbs connection along with a static IP address for an additional $5. My previous ISP was charging me $70 for 40mbps because they were the only cable ISP in town. When Allophone begin offering fiber optic Spectrum had to compete and they begin offering 300mbps for $70 (but it was asymmetrical at 300 down and 10 up). So, Allo merely jacked everyone's 100 to 300 at no extra charge. Then, to lure back those who were foolish enough to rejoin Spectrum, Allo jacked their speed to 500mbps at no extra charge. That's 500 down and 500 up. Spectrum has been silent since then.

I don't often string a cable to this laptop, but it is there if I need the speed. And, I purchased a USB 3.0 AC 1200mbps dual band wifi adapter in case my wifi chip goes out.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    Wrong link? the post here does not seem related.

I cannot see any Debian package for Chromium from Debian NOT being ancient af.

In 18.04, the latest Chromium deb from Ubuntu (version 80.0.3987.163) plus deps takes 250+ mb of disk space on my system
                    The snap ( also version 80.0.3987.163), plus the core18 snap ( a dep), takes ~215,. so there is not really a bloat issue with this particular thing.

It is interesting that Ubuntu LTS has a more current Chromium release, compared to 19.10, but it does make sense as 18.04 is both LTS and supported for some time, while 19.10 is behind. The current Chromium package is less than a week old. Ubuntu used to lag on this browser almost as bad as Debian.
                    The image in that post shows the OP downloading chromium from a Debian site. Click on the image to enlarge it.

Then, in the comments below the question there's a link which leads to an answer titled Debian Repo Saves the Day!
                    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

What image??

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-04-08 at 10.22.00 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	644625

askubuntu.com/questions/1178237/download-multiple-packages-in-parallel-from-a-single-repository-with-apt

And as I suspected, a truly ancient version of Chromium (by web browser standards) from Debian Stable, plus a fair bit of work for little real gain.
                      Though I am sure it is possible to use Debian 10 for a more up to date version (and get few if any updates).
                      I do understand the aversion to snaps and flatpaks, but in some cases they may be worth looking at. This may be one of them.

Comment

@claydoh, sorry for all the confusion!

I think I see what happened: viewers who aren't logged in are automatically redirected to another similar question which is very similar (according to people) and has an accepted answer which is what you, presumably not logged in, are seeing.

I didn't know that AU does this. My bad. I'll post what I see when logged in:

This is the upper part of the screen when logged in:

Name:	20200409092419_ksnip.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	644626

#1 is what I see
                        #2 is what viewers who aren't logged in see
                        #3 is the image I though people could see

And this is the lower part:

Name:	20200409092544_ksnip.jpg
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	644627

It's clear that people not logged in, won't also see the comment with the link which is an answer to how to use the Debian version.

I've learned my lesson! Perhaps "vanishing" this thread would avoid further confusion?
                        Last edited by chimak111; Apr 08, 2020, 10:08 PM.
                        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                        X