X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DUO for Kubuntu eventually everybody

Hi
    This is just a "what if"...

Considering the number of people who are to "stay home" and that I have spent several hours enabling Zoom on Kubuntu KparadigmShift twist...

I got to think about DUO.

I have it on my Android and my youngest boy and I have used it for the last year or two but, since I now have a kind of "home studio" setup for using Zoom, lights, backdrop all that yada yada, I got to thinking about DUO on Kubu instead of on the phone, just a thought.

a) There is no DUO in the repositiorides although there are a couple of things for dual authentication gateway and that kind of stuff, but no DUO app in and of itself.

Well, to keep things simple it is just a LOT OF STUFF to go through if one wants to put it on a Linux machine, one has to download the app through a container to get it from the Play Store...

https://duo.com/docs/dag-linux

The question that I post for people to discuss...is...

Would it be worth the time and effort for Kubuntu / KDE / NEON to actually spend the time to get DUO completely enabled "on a Kubuntu OS in terms of the whole "gotta stay home" thing?

several things that might come into play are:

a) it just can't be done on a "generic" basis and somebody then just enter a phone number or I do not know what.
    b) Time Frame... how long would it take to get it actually "done" compared to when people are no longer going to "just stay home".
    c) Even if "this" time frame is not long enough there is a lot of discussion at the national level that this could end up being a "rolling" thing... dunno...that it mutates, it already, apparently has two forms, and would working on it now, get it ready for the future.
    d) the MOST IMPORTANT...is there ANY REAL...PERCEIVED need, or is it a waste of time, "just use the phone"...

Anyway, it occurred to me... and if anybody wants to discuss it then ok, and if not then this can be deleted by an admin with my prior approval.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Would it be worth the time and effort for Kubuntu / KDE / NEON to actually spend the time to get DUO completely enabled "on a Kubuntu OS in terms of the whole "gotta stay home" thing?
    You don't mean Google's Duo, do you? This Duo Access Gateway for Linux is something else:
    '
    Duo Access Gateway (DAG) adds two-factor authentication, complete with inline self-service enrollment and Duo Prompt to popular cloud services like Salesforce and Google G Suite using SAML 2.0 federation.
    It is a security platform

You must mean google duo since you mention Android. You can use Duo via a web browser, there is no desktop client afaik. But Hangouts has more features that may be useful to some home workers.

I just installed zoom, set up an account, and tested video/sound. Took about 5 minutes, once I dug out my webcam. I have no use for it, my one job that has meetings uses gotomeeting, and that works fine in the browser.
    Now off to remove that facebook s**t.

Comment

For Android phones DUO is the Facetime equivalent. People using iPhones can install DUO and do "facetime" with Android users, as my grandson and I do on occasions. Like Claydoh said, Zoom is drop dead easy to install. I installed it to chat while testing Kubuntu beta and yesterday I tested the video & mic portion so my wife could use it for a ladies meeting Tuesday. My wife and I, my son, his wife and our grandson and his dog Scout used Zoom to talk for about an hour. I had Google Hangouts installed but the Google talk plugin was incompatible with the most recent updates so until its dependent libraries get updated, which I expect before the 23rd, Talk is out of action.

Personally, I wouldn't waste time installing Docker, let alone DUO, on my Kubuntu desktop.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Microsoft Teams is also available on Linux, Windows, Mac, Android and iPhone and is free to use.

Comment

Jitsi is another option

Comment

Hi folks thanks for the replies!

Claydoh
            I found this about Firefox and DUO , apparently it is not supported.

https://help.duo.com/s/article/3455?language=en_US

BUT you raise and intriguing question... how would I "use" DUO on my FF system? Is there some kind of "portal" that I go to and type in my boy's phone number or something?

golff4fun mentioned Jitsi

GG mentioned jitsi in another thread.

Speaking abstractly, what I posted to the other thread... can I just , dunno, "type in my boy's phone number" in jitsi and it would work when he called or that I could call him?

again,
            thanks for all the replies everybody!

woody
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Well, this is UNsettling...

I have DUO site bookmarked and inadvertently clicked it and landed at the site and guess what... since I keep my contacts in gmail, not that i actually USE a contact that much... there were my contacts either from Google contacts or the phone!! WHAT!!!??

very disconcerting... if I wasn't so busy with school stuff i'd spend the time to figure out how they ended up there, but I think i know... Google and other apps trading information!
              grrr...
              woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                Hi folks thanks for the replies!

Claydoh
                I found this about Firefox and DUO , apparently it is not supported.

https://help.duo.com/s/article/3455?language=en_US
                this, again, is NOT the video app from Google called Duo. This link has zero to do with video chat/conferencing

here is me using Google Duo for the web on Firefox

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200411_113408.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	644630

https://duo.google.com

Now, if you really are looking at the DUO from Novell, which is an authentication system, then you probably need to contact them for info, or your school's IT department. if you can't use Firefox to log in using this system, then you are SOL

Comment

Well, this is UNsettling...

I have DUO site bookmarked and inadvertently clicked it and landed at the site and guess what... since I keep my contacts in gmail, not that i actually USE a contact that much... there were my contacts either from Google contacts or the phone!! WHAT!!!??
                  You are using a google product that is designed to connect to your Google account, after all.

Comment

claydoh
                    well...umm I forgot that!
                    woody
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

lol
                      oik!
                      I can see that, it is the interface that i saw on DUO at the DUO site it was just nobody with whom to connect.
                      thanks!
                      woody
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

GG mentioned jitsi in another thread.

Speaking abstractly, what I posted to the other thread... can I just , dunno, "type in my boy's phone number" in jitsi and it would work when he called or that I could call him?

woody
                        The first thing you'd do is create a "channel" by giving it a name. Any name will do, In the picture below I created a channel using "JordanConference". Immediately a dialog popped up giving a web address, a telephone number and a pin number, and, allowing me to add a password to the channel if I want to make it private.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jitsi_screen.png
Views:	1
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	644631
                        Just email that web address, phone number, pin number, and the password if you created one, to all others you want to have on the channel. Unlike Zoom, which limits you to 100 users for a maximum of 40 minutes, Jitsi has no limits. IF you do not want to use the freely available Jitsi server, supported and run by 8X8, you can create your own Jitsi server on your own computer, if it has a static IP address, or on a Linux host.
                        Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 11, 2020, 11:54 AM.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                          The first thing you'd do is create a "channel" by giving it a name. Any name will do, In the picture below I created a channel using "JordanConference". Immediately a dialog popped up giving a web address, a telephone number and a pin number, and, allowing me to add a password to the channel if I want to make it private.

Just email that web address, phone number, pin number, and the password if you created one, to all others you want to have on the channel. Unlike Zoom, which limits you to 100 users for a maximum of 40 minutes, Jitsi has no limits. IF you do not want to use the freely available Jitsi server, supported and run by 8X8, you can create your own Jitsi server on your own computer, if it has a static IP address, or on a Linux host.
                          OK WILL DO!! ...youse is such is nice guy!

woodlikegg'shelpsmoke
                          sigpic
                          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                          X