X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thunderbird Leaves the Mozilla Foundation

https://www.linuxexperten.com/news/m...ng-thunderbird

So Mozilla is giving up on Thunderbird because other people, MZLA, can improve it while the Mozilla Foundation couldn't!? O_o? It sounds a bit strange but if it remains free and open source, I guess nothing would ever change, right?
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Giving up? Creating a subsidiary is not leaving or giving up. Firefox itself is run by a subsidiary of the Mozilla Foundation, called the Mozilla Corporation. This does not look to be any different whatsoever.
    If they can raise funds to pay for people to work on it, maybe it will improve. It was not all that long ago that they were intending to kill it off, iirc due to lack of development - i.e. a lack of coders interested in working on a desktop email client, perhaps?

Actually, looking for sources that are not clickbait/junk articles with no sourcing, it actually seems that T-bird is actually doing well
    https://blog.thunderbird.net/2020/01...irds-new-home/

Comment

I am reading it as it's still with Mozilla just with a subsidiary and that gives them a little more freedom with the ability to (from the angle of this article) monetize the program. Monetize the program doesn't in of itself mean improve upon it. Just depends on how one defines "improving".

Depending on how that is handled will determine if I stay with thunderbird or not. I cannot abide how some do product offerings in software that I use. Typically products that are generally free to users have more annoying adverts in them for other product offerings. But that may not be the case at all. Just have to see how it goes.
      Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

It probably will be no different than Firefox in this regard, fwiw.

Comment

Indeed.
          I switched from KMail to T-Bird and it works very well. It is very quick.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I still use it but it's a bit of a dying breed I would have thought
            kubuntu 20.10

Comment

I've always used T-Bird, nothing else, no problems ... except that occasional, slightly annoying glitch that was later fixed, but it has always delivered the mail.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Years ago I used Eudora and paid for updates about every six months. Not sure how long ago I switched to Thunderbird (years and years) but it has always worked well for me.
                If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

A long time ago, when the KDEPIM was at its worst in terms of akonadi insanity and nepomuk bloatedness, I went to Thunderbird. I haven't turned back.

T-bird along with Lightning work wonderfully, and for the most part glitch free. The most difficult thing was the switch to version 68, but even that wasn't bad and was well worth the little bit of extra effort. I hope it never goes away.
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                    I've always used T-Bird, nothing else, no problems ... except that occasional, slightly annoying glitch that was later fixed, but it has always delivered the mail.
                    +1 to that! No issues. Hope nothing ever does go wrong for them. I don't like web email interfaces at all!

Comment

I too use T-bird for all my email and am very satisfied. I've used it for well over a decade and hope it can remain a viable tool on my systems. I am glad it is no longer so closely tied to Firefox and, yeah, I know Mozilla still owns both of them.
                      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

The only issue I have with TB is that newer versions broke support for the Rikaichan dictionary plugin! It's a useful plugin for me, otherwise I have to copy and paste Kanji I can't read into Tagaini-Jisho! Still, using TB is still miles better than KMail!
                        Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

I've been using T-bird since it came out and it's never failed me. Have tried other clients some are very good but Thunderbird, just works with all my online and server emails. Hope it continues on and get even better.
                          Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Working...
                          X