This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux alternative to SnagIt

I've done a lot of annotated "screenshot" documentation in my career and the best program I've found is SnagIt. I dual-boot into Windows just so I can use SnagIt (and a tax program I've used for many, many years). Otherwise, I would have no need for Windows at all. Unfortunately, the good folks at TechSmith will not port SnagIt to Linux. ☹️

I've looked for FOSS alternatives like Shutter and Flameshot. Shutter is no longer in the repositories and Flameshot doesn't do anything beyond taking screenshots; then you have to take your captured image to GIMP for the extras and that's a hassle. Does anyone have a good alternative to SnagIt that I've overlooked?

Mick
    "Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas."
    Hunter S. Thompson

I don't know what type of annotations you are interested but take a look at ksnip.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I thought flameshot had more features, but it has been ages since I used it.

Look at ksnip. It has actual text input options. I rather like this one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	68747470733a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f547344577758432e706e67.png
Views:	1
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	644557
      Last edited by claydoh; Jan 28, 2020, 02:24 AM.

Comment

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Mick
        Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Flameshot has most of the functionality I was looking for. Ksnip, unfortunately, borked my new 20.04 installation. But that's being unfair. Perhaps I did it while trying to install Ksnip. It's not in the Ubuntu/Kubuntu repositories though, while Flameshot is.

Mick
          Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Ksnip is not in the repository so I downloaded the 1.61 AppImage of Ksnip and it works well in my 20.04 install. The focus on the GitHub site is for the 1.7 version downloaded as a source, which must be compiled. I avoid going the compile route (even though I programmed for 40 years) because many make files do not include an uninstall stanza and besides, I don't want to keep the source around just to be able to uninstall it sometime in the future.

Flameshot IS in the repository and it works well too.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X