This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

arch-based updates vs. kubuntu updates

This isn't a problem to solve, just curiosity on my part. I have run both Manjaro and Archman on QEMU virtual machines, as well as the new Kubuntu 20.04, and I've noticed that the two arch-based distros are way faster at upgrading than Kubuntu, even though they are both on a virtual machine. The package download speed is about the same, I think, but the actual installation process on both Archman and Manjaro is much speedier than on Kubuntu. Any ideas on why this is so?

Do you use 'apt' or 'Discover' to update? Arch uses 'pacman', or a script to run it.
    Boot Info Script

Comment

I use an alias or apt, never Discover.

Comment

What about the locations of the servers that the updates are coming from?
        Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

deb packages likely are running more scripts and post-install things. Also, Debian packages are broken down into smaller bits than others. Even a smaller application may have two or more packages. Kmymoney, for example, has not only a kmymoney package, but also a kmymoney-common package as well. So there are likely more packages to install.

From memory, arch seemed faster in this regard, and rpms felt slower, though I can't remember f it was zypper or dnf.

Comment

Working...
          X