This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is wayland trying to waylay me?

Among the last few lines of the last update (just now - neon unstable) I noticed:

Setting up kwin-wayland (4:5.16.2+p18.04+git20190705.0312-0) ...
    Setcap worked for /usr/bin/kwin_wayland!
    Setting up plasma-workspace-wayland (4:5.16.2+p18.04+git20190705.0339-0) ...

Apt seemed awfully pleased about it
    So I thought, aargh, wayland trying to waylay me, I'm being waylaid by wayl... er, no, I got curious.
    Even though, should it be allowed to sneak up on us? :·)

So I tried
    echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
    and it said
    x11
    which means I'm not using wayland, right?

It's just the kwin-wayland package post install script setting file capabilities on that binary. Done IN CASE you should decide to use a wayland session at some point.
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

So........ you have the option to log in with an xorg session or a wayland session in SDDM. Nothing new there. Even being on the dev-unstable branch of neon, as you are, allows for this.

Comment

Well, I tried using a wayland session at some point. Just now.
        Logged out, chose Plasma wayland at login.
        Result: total, immediate, and unrecoverable system freeze. :·//

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
          Well, I tried using a wayland session at some point. Just now.
          Logged out, chose Plasma wayland at login.
          Result: total, immediate, and unrecoverable system freeze. :·//
          I have had a bit of trial end error with Wayland. I have it working on 19.10 and 19.04. I must say that it works much better on 19.10 than on 19.04. The packages that I have installed using Muon are listed below.

When I was doing the installation I found that I had to remove packages such as kwin-wayland-backend-fdev, libwayland-egl++0, libwayland-egl-backend-dev, libwayland-egl1-mesa.

I hope you are able to make more progress with Wayland and that this list is of some use to you.
          Last edited by NoWorries; Jul 06, 2019, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Well, maybe that's why apt adds exclamations like:
            Setcap worked for /usr/bin/kwin_wayland!
            When something actually works with it. ;·)

Still, reading a bit here and there (like on really-real-not-fake-at-all-news-about-linux.come.on), wayland is likely to (among other things)
            - Make you autistic
            - Add chemtrails to your mouse cursor
            - Make your earth-globe wallpaper flat
            - Introduce greenhouse gases - like neon - into your CPU, thereby catastrophically increasing temperature.

So, rather than be scared, I was trying to be prepared... as I have no issues with my x11 thank you very much :·)

Note: This is not in jest at all, I'm being totally serious, strictly scientific and above all making perfect sense... or something
            Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Jul 06, 2019, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X