X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post

[speculation]
    Expect the next decade to report that Microsoft created Linux and championed its acceptance into the computing world... Minor players will be phased out of history books...
    I can easily see what's in bold, even before the next decade comes to conclusion. "Created", may be a harder sell within that same time period.

In some ways, for a lot of "normies" it took an entity like MS to bring Linux out of the shadows. Not many people knew about Linux (probably still quite a few don't, even today), some probably don't even know that Android is Linux or a bunch of their "smart" devices typically are Linux based. I didn't even know about the existences of Linux until the beginnings of this decade and that was only because I saw a couple of tech buddies of mine had it dual booted on one of their laptops and were running the laptop while they were troubleshooting some stuff for my family. I didn't even know about it during the majority of the "Ballmer" years, shoot, I thought Gates was still the main man calling all the shots back then, not that he took some distance away from the company.

So, I can easily see that being sold, especially for a lot of people if MS hadn't been focusing on it so much, they would never have known about it's existence (as I didn't for the longest time).
    Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

I shall remember for those who are too young or who still choose to drink the M$ koolaid...

I still have my Redhat boot diskette, V 6.1 and it was not even my first Linux test. I then drank the koolaid and used M$ until XP was "retired" and I went back to Linux.

"Get off my lawn, Punk!"
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.9.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Working...
      X