This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu enhancement request

Where would one go to file an enhacement request for the Kubuntu team?

Google is your friend. A Google search on "contacting kubuntu team members" (without the quotes) finds you:

https://kubuntu.org/community/
    https://kubuntu.org/the-kubuntu-team/
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I did search for it and found the ones you list, but all of these looked generic to me. Thought there might be something more formal? Like a bug report system?
      Don't have a Telegram or IRC account.

One of the links even takes me back here, which is perfect as long as the Kubuntu team will pick it up from here.

Comment

this Wiki tells you how to report bugs. https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Bugs/Reporting
        Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Been there too :-)
          But I have an enhancement request, not a bug.

Maybe just for clarity, I'd like to propose a change to the Kubuntu installer so it supports selecting the file system type when installing in a encrypted partition. To be specific, I'd like to be able to select btrfs + encryption at install.
          The way the installer works is that the moment you select encrypted you don't have the option to change the file system any longer and you will end up with ext4.

The Ubuntu installer handles this differently.
          Installing Ubuntu first and then adding the KDE environment is a workaround I have tried, but with the effect that lots of Gnome stuff is left behind which got in my way afterwards.

Comment

"The Kubuntu team uses IRC mainly"

Many ways to get on to IRC; the Kubuntu Team is on Freenode IRC; and that's your best place to interact with them.
            Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 09, 2018, 10:05 AM.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It looks like you want to go here to input recommendations that are not bugs in the existing software processes. Look through the page carefully, there are places where you can dive more deeply into specific action teams to present your recommendation, or just present your ideas to a higher level audience. Don't expect immediate action, but do expect a response - then follow up as needed.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index...._encryption.3F

Btrfs does not support native file encryption (yet), and there's nobody actively working on it. It could conceivably be added in the future.

Modern hard disks and SSDs transparently remap logical sectors to physical sectors for various reasons, including bad sectors and wear leveling. This means sensitive data can remain on a sector even after an attempt to erase the whole disk. The only protection against these challenges is full disk encryption from the moment you buy the disk. Full disk encryption requires a password for the computer to boot, but the system operates normally after that. All data (except the boot loader and kernel) is encrypted. Btrfs works safely with partition encryption (luks/dm-crypt) since Linux 3.2
                Another approach is to zip up the files in the directory whose contents you want to encrypt and lock the zip file with a password. And, there are other methods using gpg. I don't know how Vault works with Btrfs.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I know that BTRFS does not support encryption but what works well is to create a luks container and run BTRFS inside it, exactly as proposed in your note and what I had running for a couple of months.
                  My use case is that I hold customer personal data on my laptop and don't want to be messing around with which directory is secure and which one is not, hence full disk encryption is what I need.

Creating a a luks container is exactly what the Kubuntu installer does when you select encryption during installation. However, the installer defaults to ext4 inside the container and does not allow to select a modern file system=btrfs.
                  If btrfs-convert was still around one could go with the default (and only option) luks+ext4 and convert to btrfs afterwards but that's not possible any longer.

By the way, I found this email address kubuntu-council@lists.launchpad.net via the links proposed above, will do a more formal write up and will present my case to the council.
                  Last edited by Thomas00; Nov 09, 2018, 10:30 AM. Reason: Added email address

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas00 View Post
                    Been there too :-)
                    But I have an enhancement request, not a bug.

Maybe just for clarity, I'd like to propose a change to the Kubuntu installer so it supports selecting the file system type when installing in a encrypted partition. To be specific, I'd like to be able to select btrfs + encryption at install.
                    The way the installer works is that the moment you select encrypted you don't have the option to change the file system any longer and you will end up with ext4.

The Ubuntu installer handles this differently.
                    Installing Ubuntu first and then adding the KDE environment is a workaround I have tried, but with the effect that lots of Gnome stuff is left behind which got in my way afterwards.
                    This would be something Ubuntu would have to implement, actually as Kubuntu don't do much on the installer other than the visual bits.

If this is something Ubuntu does offer in its installer, but is missing in the Kubuntu version, then a bug report is warranted.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks Claydoh, I already sent my email to the Kubuntu Council. Will give it a few days waiting for a response and in case I don‘t hear back will create a bug report.

Comment

Actually, the kubuntu-devel mailing list, or even the kubuntu-user list is more appropriate, though I imagine ithe email may be forwarded to the -devel list. Again, this is out of Kubuntu's scope. It would be better discussed with Ub untu proper.

Comment

Working...
                        X