This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting a printer to a routers USB port

I have an issue at work whereby I need to connect three pc's to the office printer. There is Windows 10 on all three pc's. Originally two of the pc's were connected via a third pc. Ever since the third pc was upgraded to Windows 10 can no longer connect the other two pc's to the printer via the third.

I was thinking about connecting the printer directly to the router and connect all three pc's to the printer using the printers IP address. Will this work?

Another idea, is it possible to connect all the pc's to the printer using a USB hub?
    systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
    Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

Originally posted by NickStone View Post

I was thinking about connecting the printer directly to the router and connect all three pc's to the printer using the printers IP address. Will this work?
    IMO that's the normal way to connect printers these days. For some cheap ones it's effectively the only way. I always fix the printer's IPv4 address, in a range that the router has been told to avoid when it hands out IPs to connected devices dynamically. Routers usually can do this based on the MAC address of the printer; one connects the printer, then the router can tell you the MAC address. My router calls this "Static DHCP - Home Network" on the "Settings - LAN" page. However, if you set an IPv4 address on the printer directly, that'll work too; but every printer is different and it can be fiddly to set up.

Another idea, is it possible to connect all the pc's to the printer using a USB hub?
    One wouldn't use a USB hub like that. But, routers usually have a USB port these days, and you can plug a printer into that. I've never done that and I imagine that to set it up would depend on the router. I'd hope that the router would expose the printer to the LAN somehow.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
    X